Hit the coke ovens and found a coke fork

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
These coke ovens were built in 1889 and ran more more then 20 years. The area has been dug hard the last 35 years, both by bottle diggers and detectors, but it still produces. I found a fork last March at the ovens about 10" deep, and had teeth broke off and was very rusty. This fork is in perfect shape and was partially exposed. About 4" of teeth and the tang were visible. The fork is 16" wide and 24" long. People had dug privys within 30 ft of the fork and they never noticed it.

Attachments

• fork.jpg
    fork.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,591
Upvote 0
This is an old thread and I was surprised to see it . Sorry folks, but it is a coke fork. I have found two at the coke ovens. Our local museum has a coke fork on display, the same as shown here. I do have a manure fork and it is shaped different. I have a catalog showing a manure fork and a coke fork. This is a coke fork. I'm a country boy and I do know the difference.

Danimal said:
I found a silver coke spoon once ;)

Nice digs!

:laughing7: ...and he uses it every day! :laughing7:

KIDDING!! Don't hurt me!

stefen said:
Harry_Morant said:
Now thats what I call a fork - be great for toasting a whole packet of marshmellows ;D

I don't think I would because its actually a manure fork.

Close spacing used for manure and wide spacing used for hay.
[/quote

What about the ones we find in gold camps that were called Box Rakes,used for getting the cobbles out of the Long Toms,Pat.1854....looks just like the one posted?

lumbercamp said:
This is an old thread and I was surprised to see it . Sorry folks, but it is a coke fork. I have found two at the coke ovens. Our local museum has a coke fork on display, the same as shown here. I do have a manure fork and it is shaped different. I have a catalog showing a manure fork and a coke fork. This is a coke fork. I'm a country boy and I do know the difference.

hey LJ i see you haven't made it to 1000 posts yet lol.
Help me out here, what exactly is a coke fork?

Yea. Hill Billy. That beer is still waiting!! Coke is the light porous by-product from coal processed in coke ovens. Coal was dumped in holes on top of the beehive ovens and cooked without air for up to 72 hours.
Kuger, the catalog I have lists Stone/ballast forks. Could be the same kind of fork, only different terminology for different parts of the country.

lumbercamp said:
Yea. Hill Billy. That beer is still waiting!! Coke is the light porous by-product from coal processed in coke ovens. Coal was dumped in holes on top of the beehive ovens and cooked without air for up to 72 hours.
Kuger, the catalog I have lists Stone/ballast forks. Could be the same kind of fork, only different terminology for different parts of the country.
Right,that wasnt directed at you.The box rakes are exact only smaller :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back