traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know anything about the HMS Hussar which sunk in the East River off of Manhattan during the revolutionary war?
Just what you can read online. Rumors of gold aboard. Went down while trying to negotiate the Hell Gate passage. Or so it reads.

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know anything about the HMS Hussar which sunk in the East River off of Manhattan during the revolutionary war?
Makes an interesting read, but no way I would attempt to salvage anything there if I read the law right for New York.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and with all the decades of blasting and channel dredging, likely long gone

the army corp blasted hells gate and pot rock down to the seafloor in the late 1800s

do remember, someone thinking they found it after hurricane sandy slammed new york

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

the army corp blasted hells gate and pot rock down to the seafloor in the late 1800s

do remember, someone thinking they found it after hurricane sandy slammed new york
good information

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just click the x in the upper right and it goes back to the article, at least it did for me

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just went back and looked at it again, it comes up with a "you have reached your limit of free articles" and blocks the article with that

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah that was an old news article. He later said it was just an old wooden barge.

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still down there. There’s plenty of wrecks that are in those waters. Some known and most unknown.

Typical of this state.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still down there. There’s plenty of wrecks that are in those waters. Some known and most unknown.

Typical of this state.
Too bad laws there are so prohibitive.

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I and Rob McClung dove a site near Riker's Island chasing down a target that Barry Clifford thought was the Hussar, of course it wasn't though. Filthy water and nasty currents, we had to get a bunch of shots as per the health department just to dive in that cesspool. We only saw 2 living things on the bottom: black eels and black crabs neither of which were originally black. We went to Chinatown for dinner and there was a restaurant specializing in seafood, lo and behold what was in the giant tank you ask? Needless to say we didn't eat there!

WD

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I and Rob McClung dove a site near Riker's Island chasing down a target that Barry Clifford thought was the Hussar, of course it wasn't though. Filthy water and nasty currents, we had to get a bunch of shots as per the health department just to dive in that cesspool. We only saw 2 living things on the bottom: black eels and black crabs neither of which were originally black. We went to Chinatown for dinner and there was a restaurant specializing in seafood, lo and behold what was in the giant tank you ask? Needless to say we didn't eat there!

WD
I do not think I would like chocolate crab either.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a bit of info from a 1998 Sport Diver magazine:

hussar.JPG

I also saw the map mentioned in the article on Google Books.
There must be treasure there because the map clearly had an 'X' on the spot.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a bit of info from a 1998 Sport Diver magazine:

View attachment 2007008
I also saw the map mentioned in the article on Google Books.
There must be treasure there because the map clearly had an 'X' on the spot.
Here's a very well researched article printed in 1974 by NOAA:

hussar1.JPG

hussar2.JPG

OP
OP
B

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WD
Funny you mentioned this. I remember reading that Barry Clifford was poking around looking for it. Then that was it. Not another word on it. I guess it wasn’t the ship he thought it was.

What was the wreck you found?

By the way I think I have an approximate location of the wreck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread