Hobo Nickels

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well dang now I have to add another thing to my bucket list! :BangHead: I have never seen anyone on the forum ever say they found one.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I had heard the term but never looked into them. I Googled it. WOW! That is some serious art work. Thanks for bringing it up on the T Net site.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love hobo coins. I have never found one but have always been fascinated by how they can do them.
Yes, amazing artistry - some with Truth, and others with Fantasy... I just wonder what the hobos had to use, just pocket knife, or what?
Very collectable...!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen them online. On my bucket list for sure!

OP
OP
J

james.battista

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2023
Thanks for all the comments. I think they are cool. I'm pretty sure you can't detect along railways. I used to Geocache years ago. I know we were warned to stay clear of RR property. Sure would be nice to find one.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Thanks for all the comments. I think they are cool. I'm pretty sure you can't detect along railways. I used to Geocache years ago. I know we were warned to stay clear of RR property. Sure would be nice to find one.
We have a lot of abandoned railways in Iowa. Much of it has been torn out, seeded and made into bike/hike trails. Might be a good idea

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where I live, it is RR logging history everywhere, but short-term use, and everybody was working along the lines - no bums or hobos...!
I think those Hobo Nickels took a long time to produce, and each is unique....and valuable...!

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Where I live, it is RR logging history everywhere, but short-term use, and everybody was working along the lines - no bums or hobos...!
I think those Hobo Nickels took a long time to produce, and each is unique....and valuable...!
I remember seeing a few hobos in the 60s on the Rock Island and the Milwaukee lines. One knocked on our door asking for food once.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the "old days" when we had treasure hunting magazines that you could hold in your hand and read there were occasional stories about the hobo nickels. I've never found any, but I would sure like to! Thanks for bring them up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread