Hold the Confederate Line!

Poptopagain

Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's E Serries & Etrac
Last winter I did a little online research on some of the Confederate lines during the battle of Balls Bluff near Leesburg, Va. and got permission to hunt the area. Yesterday I broke out the trusty E trac and went to town. The first dig of the day, I came up with a pretty flat button. It still had about half of the gilt left on it. That was followed by 100+ nails then up came a nice buckle with rich patina on it. I haven't seen one of these before so if anyone has any more info as to what it is...Please let me know!

The nails continued...

Then a bullet showed up that was all pitted and gnarled. My guess is that it is a musketball based on the weight. and finally a coat sized button came out from about 7 inches down. I could see the "A" after one single wipe and knew it was a keeper. I did a little online searching and sent a pic to River Rat who enlightened me that it was a Confederate Artillery coat button.

Beautiful day!

Attachments

• Button and Buckle.jpg
    Button and Buckle.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 873
  • Buckle.jpg
    Buckle.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 879
  • Confederate Artillery Button.jpg
    Confederate Artillery Button.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 870
  • Flat button.jpg
    Flat button.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 872
  • Bullet.jpg
    Bullet.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 866
Upvote 0
Sweet button....Let me know if you need some help ::)

Love the Confederate Block "A" button! Those are nice ones to see pop out of the dirt, Congrats :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Nice finds, I am sure your new spot is holding some more nice finds....

Looks like it's a 1 piece wire shank. I wouldn't throw it back. :thumbsup:

Wow! :o Great looking finds Poptopagain! :icon_thumright:
Love the look of the Confederate Artillery button and the buckle . . .
any thoughts on the buckles age? :icon_scratch:
Pre or post civil War period?

Bullet looks like a chewed one. I see teeth marks in it. Hang on to it until an expert can look it over.

The buckle is the one that's holding my curiosity. I'm not sure what it is. I was hoping that someone here on TN would tell me exactly what it was. There are no markings on it. Except two holes where a ferous pin went through the middle. It has since rusted away.

Poptopagain said:
The buckle is the one that's holding my curiosity. I'm not sure what it is. I was hoping that someone here on TN would tell me exactly what it was. There are no markings on it. Except two holes where a ferous pin went through the middle. It has since rusted away.

Colonial period show buckle frame. Was searching for a pic, but found this. Damn

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200301A22.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back