What's new

Hollow halves

StevoCBR

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
541
Reaction score
39
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 3 of these now and read on here a while back about them being magic halves. These are amazing replica's and the only way I found them was through the sound check. Very different and hollow sounding. I found the below link on "spy coins and they talk about a tool. And I don't see anywhere they sell the tool. So was hoping anybody out there know how to open it and if they are spy coins or magic and what the difference may be.

http://www.spyville.com/spy-coin-hollow-coin.html

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Hey Stevo,

Your in luck I am a magician,

I have recently found two magician coins, one by sound the other a coin machine kept rejecting.
They are probably for a trick called Scotch and Soda. Click on this link to see it work. (You have to watch a quick commercial)

http://www.howcast.com/videos/355630-How-To-Do-the-Scotch-and-Soda-Coin-Trick

The two ways I know of opening them is with a "bang ring" It is a small ring of metal that the coin sits in, when you bang it on the table the two halves of the coin will separate. You can probably buy one at a magic shop or bring the coin in and they should be able to open it. The other method is putting the coin in a tall glass covering the lid and shaking it. It may take a while but it usually will break open.

You may be able to sell them to a magic shop.

Keep on Hunting

Gordon and Tanner
 
They aren't replicas. they are real halves that have been tooled to be hollow. I think the spy coin thing is just an urban legend. They entire piece will have another coin inside to complete the trick.
HH
enamel7
 
Thanks G & T and enamel 7, good info. I'll look for a bang ring and try your tips in the mean time to open. Very cool!
 
i had the same problem, but i just kept throwing it on carpet, and sometimes hard floor, and it finally came apart...but i dont recoment dis cuz it will get all scratched up, so i would do what gordon said :) keep it up and hh!
 
Yep, a "scotch and soda" for sure. I have had this trick for over 20 years, way before I knew the 1st thing about coins. One of the best tricks in coin magic. If you can get a bang ring, keep the coin and try the trick out. You will need to get a centavo as one the opposite side of the tails, it is a centavo - basically a American tails one 1 side and a centavo on the other. Very cool find!
 
I have found 3.5 of them. The 0.5 is a small mexican/half reverse portion.

My way to open them: Hold the coin on the rim with index and thumb, let the obverse facing up and reverse facing down; slam the hand on a wood kitchen table lightly with hypothenar portion of hand touching the table; The reverse will fall off after 3 or 4 tries.
 
Found 7 of them this year so far. One in my last bag I just searched. Anyone want to trade for one to add to their collection?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom