HOLY CRxP IT WORKED 8 GRAM GOLD RING

dollydazed

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS FOR THE BASKETBALL COURT TIP. I REALLY HAVE NOT USED MY DETECTOR MUCH OVER THE YEARS. BACKYARD,A BEACH ,
A PARK OR TWO. AFTER READING THE FIND AROUND THE BASKETBALL COURTS I WENT DOWN TO LOCAL PARK . FIRST HIT WAS A CHEAP COSTUME RING, A FEW COINS ABOUT FOUTH HIT THIS RING. THOUGHT IT WAS FAKE IT WAS RED IN COLOR. I DID THIS THREE DAYS AGO. WELL AFTER LOOKING THOUGH A LOOP TODAY I SAW 14KT GAVE IT A SCRATCH AND GOLD!!! IT HAS RED PAINT OR SOMETHING ON IT . THANKS AGAIN

Attachments

• ring 001.JPG
    ring 001.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 271
  • ring 002.JPG
    ring 002.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 275
Upvote 6
Take it to a jeweler it should clean up.

Would pure Acetone work for getting the paint off of this piece? Basically let it soak in acetone and wipe away the red... might take multiple soaks and shouldn't hurt the gold.

That being said... I'd be more interested to know why someone would paint a true gold ring.

Excellent find!

I wouldn't worry about unsolicited cleaning methods. It could have fallen into some paint and got tossed with the paint.

If you want it clean, ask the jeweler when you get it checked.

WTG!

Congrats on your ring find! Hope you can get the red paint off.

I have found more than my share of fake gold and silver over the yrs - they stamp shiney brass with 10k and 14k a lot and pass it off
so have checked and they stamp stainless with 925

Sorry, but I waited until others broke the bad news, I'm thinking junk ring, just my thoughts based on the picture.

Found 2 in Maumee beach, they were nice, but...

Well I do think you have brass here - sorry- 14 K should not oxidize to that extent (I've seen 10 K that was rather grimy looking )

its red oxide paint on it with some stuck in nicks and grooves. it is not oxidized it covered in red something comes off ok

Looks like GOLD to me......should clean up nicely! :icon_thumright:

I've never found a 14l ring covered in paint. But that doesn't mean they don't exist. A complete cleaning and an acid test will tell.

Sure hope it's gold! :icon_thumright: Jeweler definitely can test & tell you. Both gold rings I've dug looked like crud when pulled from the ground! My 14k solid gold ring dug at iron-infested beach was covered with thin coating of iron - I knew it was definitely gold when the iron coat easily popped off with flicks of my fingernail! My trashy-looking 18k hollow gold ring dug in an embankment was partially covered by tight coating of black gunk, the same as a similar gold ring my son had dug in same area. Both of what some people might have discarded as junk rings were actually beautiful gold. Together they sold for a total of $420 from Midwest Refiners, one of the companies featured here on t-net. Glad I didn't toss my rings, ha-ha. HAVE FUN! Andi

anybody ever question if it is paint?

what are you walking on= ARKANSASLYNX

So...what are you saying ARKANSASLYNX ? My response was in ref. to some people thinking it was brass and others saying it is a junk ring.

What are you smoking = Goldkey

Instead of "stirring the pot", why not just have it tested? :dontknow:
Saying that...........I hope it IS gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back