Holy moly! Latest finds below our church.

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
The Bridgeport tool is a tubing cutter.
The round item and the big oval are stove pipe dampers.
The square door is from a coal/wood stove.
The round door from a coal stove or furnace.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bridgeport tool is a tubing cutter.
The round item and the big oval are stove pipe dampers.
The square door is from a coal/wood stove.
The round door from a coal stove or furnace.

Yes! Go Taz!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you find alot of square nails through the 1800's but they still make them and depending on size, would of course determine their use.

We recovered almost a bucket-full. The church was built in 1912. Good info, Nova. Thanks.

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! I was just telling my husband the other day you can find all sorts of things under houses,old buildings,etc. and here's proof.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet a plumber in the past was a bit sad for losing one of his tools. Pipe cutter made back then wasn't cheap. Now you can get one made in China at the home store for maybe less then ten bucks. Yours sure is a testament of the way things used to be built. "Built to last"

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old stuff looks like it could be used to make a folk art birdhouse. Hint, hint. :thumbsup:
Neat finds young lady.
-Doug-

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About the nails... my house was built in 1926 and it has that VERY-EXACT shape of nails in the baseboards and other "trim" in the house. That more-or-less matches up with your church's construction date. I would date that PARTICULAR shape of nails to late-1800s through first 1/3rd of the 20th-Century. But as Nova Treasure mentioned, similar-looking ones are still being manufactured and sold today.

Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
About the nails... my house was built in 1926 and it has that VERY-EXACT shape of nails in the baseboards and other "trim" in the house. That more-or-less matches up with your church's construction date. I would date that PARTICULAR shape of nails to late-1800s through first 1/3rd of the 20th-Century. But as Nova Treasure mentioned, similar-looking ones are still being manufactured and sold today.

yes. My house I Live in is from the 1850's and my other home was built in 1848, they both basically had the same nail throughout. I also have a couple church pews that I restored that I use in my Foyer. they also were built with small square nails and I used some that I dug in the restoration.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread