Holy moly! Latest finds below our church.

OP
OP
M

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes. My house I Live in is from the 1850's and my other home was built in 1848, they both basically had the same nail throughout. I also have a couple church pews that I restored that I use in my Foyer. they also were built with small square nails and I used some that I dug in the restoration.

I love that! One of the people iI work with took some discarded 1900 floorboards and some of these nails (he cleaned them up a bit) and made a gorgeous trunk from it. He then gave it to us for Christmas. I love it! Far more thoughtful than anything in a store, and a keeper, forever. Good job!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes. My house I Live in is from the 1850's and my other home was built in 1848, they both basically had the same nail throughout. I also have a couple church pews that I restored that I use in my Foyer. they also were built with small square nails and I used some that I dug in the restoration.

We actually lived in the church (rectory) for 12 years, and are restoring the church side currently to it's original grandeur. The pews actually still have the slots beneath them, for the gentleman ( back then) to slide their hats under. I like that. I would like to see a photo sometime of your restoration work. Too cool.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I agree the kerosene tin is older than stated (perhaps 1920's?) and would add that I believe the tobacco tins are pre-1940 as well.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I too can always be wrong, but to me they both look older than that, and perhaps actually varnish cans? I suppose a picture of the label on the of the first one might help.

Upvote 0

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I too can always be wrong, but to me they both look older than that, and perhaps actually varnish cans? I suppose a picture of the label on the of the first one might help.

I will spend some time today researching the cans and see If I can come up with time periods of use. I do hope they are older than what I said and I do want to be the one that is wrong. I do agree the one can could had been a paint or varnish can too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I actually found much more. I am in a diff. Location, but I will photograph some more. I just appreciate the poss. info. Your input is great. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of mine, Doug. Minus the cool touches of yours. Home tweet home, just is breathtakingly perfect! Get your storefront ready. Need some nails???

That birdhouse is AWESOME!!! :thumbsup: You have a real talent. Very colorful and cheery. Those would sell like hotcakes here in the Asheville area.
Thanks for sharing your artwork.
I do have a plan for making and selling my creations, but it has to be on the back burner until I retire. Just not enough time right now.
-Doug-

Upvote 0

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing they were found in a dirt crawl space? If its possible it my be interesting to metal detect. Also some of that stuff could have been left when the building was built. Speaking from modern times.... I framed houses for years before the market crash. Worked with a guy who hide things all over houses. Bottles, news papers, the guy even carried around a roll of pennies and hid then behind base boards, anything that might last the test of time. Front porch stoops before the concrete caps were poured. Instead of back filling with gravel like your supposed to lots of people filled them up with there household garbage. I guess it will give people something to find in 150 years LOL!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing they were found in a dirt crawl space? If its possible it my be interesting to metal detect. Also some of that stuff could have been left when the building was built. Speaking from modern times.... I framed houses for years before the market crash. Worked with a guy who hide things all over houses. Bottles, news papers, the guy even carried around a roll of pennies and hid then behind base boards, anything that might last the test of time. Front porch stoops before the concrete caps were poured. Instead of back filling with gravel like your supposed to lots of people filled them up with there household garbage. I guess it will give people something to find in 150 years LOL!!
Crawl space is right!!! Bingo. We just covered a small area so far. 4 ft. high, 10,000 sq ft wide. The adventure is only beginning. Good, good info. Helix!!! You know your stuff!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mastiff4me

Sep 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crawl space is right!!! Bingo. We just covered a small area so far. 4 ft. high, 10,000 sq ft wide. The adventure is only beginning. Good, good info. Helix!!! You know your stuff!
. Btw, I made an error here. The total area is 10,000-'but we just explored 15 feet of it beneath the floor. We tracked lights into it the other day( it's pretty dark and dusty) and have some masks ready for next week. I wonder what awaits?!? :) and, yes. I am going to bring my MD with me. I never leave (hardly anywhere) without 'Garrett', :) or at least my pinpointer. 🎯🎯🎯

Upvote 0

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that looks like some pretty neat stuff.....there are ways to clean up those tins some - Ill drop you a line.....

Upvote 0

baytraderbutch

Oct 15, 2012
Ms Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Gold Master, Whites Coin Master. Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Same here nove, aunts home built in the 1800s was all square nails. Some present day cut nails for concrete are square but being found under the old church I'd say they are old. Under houses and in old attics no telling what you might find. Some of the old homes along the coast here in MS everywhere you dig you find old bottles and things. Old homes getting harder to find here with the passing of each hurricane.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread