phone pic 036.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • 1425748_233583873474549_874618874_n.jpg
    1425748_233583873474549_874618874_n.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 134
  • phone pic 045.jpg
    phone pic 045.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
Wow, very interesting post. I had never heard or even thought of trees like in you first picture being markers. :dontknow: Very cool.
There is a 190 acre property I've detected at for years here in NC where I've seen a few trees like that in the woods. The land has hills, valleys, streams, and a swamp area. Not only did CW troops camp there, but lots of Indian artifacts were found in that area too. I met a guy one day out by the road along the main stream looking for arrowheads after a big rain. He said the area across the road he and his buddy call "Indian Hill" because of all of the Indian artifacts they had found over the years. Myself, I had found numerous arrowheads and a large nutting stone while out detecting.
I'm not saying the trees are markers or not, but I do find this very interesting.
Thanks for starting this post. I learned something new today. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Upvote 0
ModernMiner (and Malisa), approximately a year ago there was a long, detailed discussion of so-called Indian Trail Marker Trees here in the What-Is-It forum. Perhaps somebody here can find that discussion and post a link to it. (I can't do that for you because I'm not very good at searching for a particular "topic" on the TreasureNet website.)

Upvote 0
ModernMiner (and Malisa), approximately a year ago there was a long, detailed discussion of so-called Indian Trail Marker Trees here in the What-Is-It forum. Perhaps somebody here can find that discussion and post a link to it. (I can't do that for you because I'm not very good at searching for a particular "topic" on the TreasureNet website.)

Thanks CBG.
I think Taz listed it above.
-MM-

Upvote 0
What part of the world are you in? Around here ( upstate SC) these would be called marker trees. I know of two of these that are at or near old gold mines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What part of the world are you in? Around here ( upstate SC) these would be called marker trees. I know of two of these that are at or near old gold mines.

I'm in upstate SC too. I've always seen these called (Native American) marker trees. I've seen them at a few Indian camps that I've found pottery and arrowheads in. Also, I have see the a t colonial house sites

Upvote 0
There was gold found about 3 miles from me in 1940 they never told how much when they first found it they say it was under a huge capstone

Upvote 0
sorry i dont know this site or how to go about these things on here...not good with a computer lol

Upvote 0
image.jpg
I agree with the trail marker, that's new info for me as well. My initial thought was the trees seen in the pictures, they are much more drastic. There's tons of different interpretations as to what they were used for, the ones is this picture were supposedly manipulated around 1930 for furniture making, another interpretation was that they were used by much earlier people for boat building/sleds. Interesting stuffimage.jpg

Upvote 0
Not sure about the bent trees but as far as slash marks in trees - 150 years ago or so some survey crews would mark up trees like that.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back