HOLY TOLEDO!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey... I'm not making this up. It's in today's edition of the St. Petersburg Times (Florida)
(I can only guess at how you would be treated for MD'ing in your own yard)

YOU WANT TO PARK IN YOUR DRIVEWAY? FINE

Many residents of Toledo, Ohio, have recently been ticketed for parking viola­tions. Which is weird only because their cars were parked in their driveways.

Turns out, Toledo technically has a law against parking on an unpaved surface.

And the ticketed cars were parked on gravel driveways.

It is probably a total coinci­dence that the city is in the midst of a budget crisis.

Mayor Carty Finkbeiner, who in the past has tried to save civic dollars by mowing a city park himself, wouldn’t answer questions about whether the crackdown was a budget-balancing scheme. He faces a recall election in November, and this should help him lock up the key paved-driveway zealot vote.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing Holy about that Devilish scheme,
it is sad how you can't own nothing anymore, We just rent from the Goverment.

Thanks for sharing,
Nova Treasure

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel driveways are outlawed in many cities by the zoning codes. Existing gravel drives prior to the adoption of the codes are grandfathered in and are not in violation. Usually these are not enforced unless someone complains or unless someone puts a gravel driveway on new construction. It's all about the preservation of property values is what the people who pass these laws will tell you. I use to head up a department that enforced these codes and it was not a pleasant chore. God help you if you park on the grass! That's a capital offense! I can't imagine why they would suddenly begin issuing citations for no apparent reason or without warning. Our state law required us to give a ten day warning notice prior to any direct enforcement action. That is pretty much the national standard for that type of violation. I was an active member of the National Association of Code Enforcement for many years and one of the goals was to standardize the codes. So, I am naturally thinking there is some information missing from the story. I authored several of the state laws here in OK that were eventually adopted into law by the state legislature. If you have any questions regarding same I will try to answer them. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread