Home made tumbled sea glass thoughts?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy pallets of stuff at auctions & a lot of glass at times are in these pallets. Many pieces are broken usually from the boxes not being packed very well & then being mishandled by workers. In a couple weeks we are also headed to a bottle dump on my friends grandparents property that has never been touched & it goes back to at least the 20's. Anyway I was looking into uses for broken glass rather than throwing it all away & I found a YouTube video of a guy making home made tumbled sea glass in a cement mixer.

This guy was making bulk loads for his own use but it got me thinking about how well one might be able to perfect making sea glass that is very hard to distinguish from the real stuff. Now mind you not to make & sell as real sea glass or anything deceiving but more so to get top dollar out of it because it is so close to the real stuff. The material would be free but electricity to run tumblers is not free + a lot of experimenting would take place to try to get it just right.

The stuff seems to sell well on the bay & I don't know off hand anywhere local to buy the stuff so not only could I have an online market but I could probably have a descent local market as well. The stuff looks great as flowerbed cover! Jewelery is made from it, there are lots of uses & little supply as far as I know. The only part that is "hard is it takes a good amount of time per batch 10-12 hours & it actually probably needs a 2nd even longer tumble in smaller quantities in a smaller tumbler after the first tumble to get it to the more real looking state I want.

Here is the video if you wanna watch it..

Anyone ever tried making this stuff? Anyone ever bought or sold any sea glass? Any thoughts at all on the subject?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its me again, i know some bottle hunters polish bottles back up through a similar process in a series of small buckets with a belt driven motor. So you might want to check one of those bottle hunting forums. Please note that if its their primary income they are prone to not help, lie, or omit major steps in the process. I contemplated it years ago because I had access to literally thousands of pounds of broken glass. If it were me here is how I would start on a small scale. I would go to harborfreight with one of those 20% off coupons and buy the biggest rock tumbler they have <http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html>. While there I would buy a box of those ceramic disks <http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lbs-medium-ceramic-abrasive-polishing-tumbler-media-60547.html> Then I would call around locally, machine shop or some manufacturer and see if they would sell me about 5 lbs of silicone carbide 90 grit. Throw in a pound or two of that in there with more water than he is using and it will be pretty quiet and cut the run time down. I also wouldn't bother throwing in tempered glass its just more crude to clean out later. The typical grit run I would start with was in that other thread if 90 grit looks too unpolished. I would just start that way as its a small investment to see if you like the outcome. Scaling up his process seems ok. But its easier to dial in how you want to run it on a smaller machine. I think you would want to run the bigger pieces and more water and add the grit. I ultimately decided against it because so many people selling made sea glass as real sea glass. His tumble time is long because he didn't add any abrasive. Glass does not readily scratch other glass without some help. Its pretty hard stuff on the hardness scale. Except of course when you don't want to scratch glass. I think you could also do something like a conveyer belt or treadmill with a plastic tub with a screw on lid if you were doing bigger runs then you could probably run more than one tub off of one motor.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Stupid question, but instead of grit, could one just use beach sand.........or any sand, but beach sand would be more "original" in the production. I can see the advertisement now, "Created with real beach sand!!!" LOL

T.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
its me again, i know some bottle hunters polish bottles back up through a similar process in a series of small buckets with a belt driven motor. So you might want to check one of those bottle hunting forums. Please note that if its their primary income they are prone to not help, lie, or omit major steps in the process...

I beg your pardon, Mr. Dumpster,

Why are you taking unwarranted shots at bottle tumblers? Clearly, you have a minimal understanding of the process, or the community.

The methods, and materials used by bottle tumblers are different, and the end results are at odds with what gadget is seeking to accomplish.

Here's a bit of a DIY sea glass tutorial: Make Your Own Sea Glass! (And Other Tumbled Lovelies) The crafts world has been there & done this: Homemade Sea Glass - Easy to Make, Beautiful to Admire

adveniat-aid-organisation-cement-small-19589.jpg

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I tried it a few years back and found that people in the know could tell it apart from the real thing. Seems that the ocean gives the glass a certain pattern that is different than the tumbler would give. But, tumbled glass is still useable, just don't sell it as beach glass.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stupid question, but instead of grit, could one just use beach sand.........or any sand, but beach sand would be more "original" in the production. I can see the advertisement now, "Created with real beach sand!!!" LOL

T.

I was thinking the same thing... Beach sand & salt water, how much closer to real can ya get? But I think dumpsterdiver is talking about a way to speed up the process a lot with the material he is talking about. I'd like to play with it both ways, maybe start with dumpsters method & then finish it off with sand & salt water. Or play with it many different ways to see what the results are. Definitely start on a small scale for sure!

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its me again, i know some bottle hunters polish bottles back up through a similar process in a series of small buckets with a belt driven motor. So you might want to check one of those bottle hunting forums. Please note that if its their primary income they are prone to not help, lie, or omit major steps in the process. I contemplated it years ago because I had access to literally thousands of pounds of broken glass. If it were me here is how I would start on a small scale. I would go to harborfreight with one of those 20% off coupons and buy the biggest rock tumbler they have <http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html>. While there I would buy a box of those ceramic disks <http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lbs-medium-ceramic-abrasive-polishing-tumbler-media-60547.html> Then I would call around locally, machine shop or some manufacturer and see if they would sell me about 5 lbs of silicone carbide 90 grit. Throw in a pound or two of that in there with more water than he is using and it will be pretty quiet and cut the run time down. I also wouldn't bother throwing in tempered glass its just more crude to clean out later. The typical grit run I would start with was in that other thread if 90 grit looks too unpolished. I would just start that way as its a small investment to see if you like the outcome. Scaling up his process seems ok. But its easier to dial in how you want to run it on a smaller machine. I think you would want to run the bigger pieces and more water and add the grit. I ultimately decided against it because so many people selling made sea glass as real sea glass. His tumble time is long because he didn't add any abrasive. Glass does not readily scratch other glass without some help. Its pretty hard stuff on the hardness scale. Except of course when you don't want to scratch glass. I think you could also do something like a conveyer belt or treadmill with a plastic tub with a screw on lid if you were doing bigger runs then you could probably run more than one tub off of one motor.

Thanks for the tips! I figured his way was not the best way just a simple way that worked for him... I thought wouldn't something abrasive added speed it up & more water help with noise not to mention make a more realistic final product!

I even wonder what the stuff would look like fire polished in a kiln.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its from personal experience and I don't blame them. I said it because I've found it to be true. I'm still finding it to be true. Yes Ive never actually tumbled a found bottle up to a polish but I do have a minimal understanding of the process. I actually did refer him to the bottle community. I realize the end result is at odds shiny vs beat up but hardware for the process could be the same. Feel free to link me to a thorough bottle polishing process so I can increase my understanding?

I beg your pardon, Mr. Dumpster,

Why are you taking unwarranted shots at bottle tumblers? Clearly, you have a minimal understanding of the process, or the community.

The methods, and materials used by bottle tumblers are different, and the end results are at odds with what gadget is seeking to accomplish.

Here's a bit of a DIY sea glass tutorial: Make Your Own Sea Glass! (And Other Tumbled Lovelies) The crafts world has been there & done this: Homemade Sea Glass - Easy to Make, Beautiful to Admire

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. Dumpster,

As you might imagine the hardware is geared to bottle polishing, not the production of sea glass. For whatever it's worth, here's a short video on the process:

In my opinion, the bottle tumbling machines would a) produce a very limited amount of "sea" glass, and b) be far from the ideal arrangement for making said glass.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for conversation, I went scuba diving in Fort Bragg, CA a few years back at a place called Glass Beach. The stuff was everywhere and we just left it there. This is not my photo but one off the net.

Attachments

• glass beach.jpg
    glass beach.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 3,922

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the beach shot Packerbacker .Surf that bottle tumbler reminds me of the rock tumbling kit I got for Christmas one year except on a much larger scale,that was very interesting.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live near a stream couldn't you rig up a barrel of sorts with baffles, much like the concept of an old mills wheel, and just let the currents tumble it for you? Or use a windmill with pullies to tumble a barrel.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
If you live near a stream couldn't you rig up a barrel of sorts with baffles, much like the concept of an old mills wheel, and just let the currents tumble it for you? Or use a windmill with pullies to tumble a barrel.

Yes, you can. I remember my Grandfather did this in the stream out behind the farmhouse and he polished rocks with it. I am not sure, he dug dumps and collected bottles as well, so he might have done some glass too, but am just guessing there. I spent many weekends rockhounding and digging old dumps with him and my Grandmother. Thanks for reminding me and bringing back some memories.

T.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats genius.

I dont think my way is the best as there are many ways to the same end result. But its a decent start. In my opinion the reason sand works in the ocean waves have lots of force compared to a tumbler. You also have lots of sand versus a small amount of glass. In a tumbler you have reversed the proportions. Lots of glass versus a small amount of sand. I really dont know what the salt does. Unless the purist are out there tasting the product. :laughing7: The grit will drastically cut down on the time it takes. But if you have free sand and a stream its not gonna get much cheaper than that.

if you could seal a barrel like this and maybe that auction has some cheap treadmills. you might could crank out enough for landscaping. i have no idea how much power that thing is sucking down. But it would turn some heads.

or jump ahead to about the five minute mark and picture what your backyard could look like full of cement mixers. At least some company approves of the cement mixer. Thats probably a good sign.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is genius! Great answer, you sir win the prize! However I have no stream to use darn it!

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats genius.

I dont think my way is the best as there are many ways to the same end result. But its a decent start. In my opinion the reason sand works in the ocean waves have lots of force compared to a tumbler. You also have lots of sand versus a small amount of glass. In a tumbler you have reversed the proportions. Lots of glass versus a small amount of sand. I really dont know what the salt does. Unless the purist are out there tasting the product. :laughing7: The grit will drastically cut down on the time it takes. But if you have free sand and a stream its not gonna get much cheaper than that.

if you could seal a barrel like this and maybe that auction has some cheap treadmills. you might could crank out enough for landscaping. i have no idea how much power that thing is sucking down. But it would turn some heads.
or jump ahead to about the five minute mark and picture what your backyard could look like full of cement mixers. At least some company approves of the cement mixer. Thats probably a good sign.

Thanks for the vids & ideas! The barrel on the treadmill could very well work! BTW We have access to a cement mixer at the property with the bottle dump were going to here in not too long!

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the vids & ideas! The barrel on the treadmill could very well work! BTW We have access to a cement mixer at the property with the bottle dump were going to here in not too long!

well nothing better than using what you have on hand. Try to keep the pieces close to the same size. Those ceramic disks will help if you have large size differences. I wouldnt use anything thinner than bottle glass. I think his operation is depending on the weight of the glass alone so I would say at the very least add some sand. you may decide its just not for you.

I'm about an hour from the ocean guess I could always drop a load of broken glass shards on the beach :o and go collect my rewards once the injuries die down. :dontknow:

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking of building a rock tumbler also to clean up coins dug with metal detecting. Seems a guy could build one fairly cheap using even a old printer from a thrift shop and only cost a buck or 2. For larger scale versions you could use an electric motor off something like a ceiling fan, or even bigger... a swamp cooler motor, etc.... I would highly recommend building a small scale version or buying one on the cheap and test out some glass to find that look you are looking for. This way it is minimal cost and material use to see if you will get your desired results and you can try out sand, grit, different fluid types also (oils, waters (salt, distilled, tap), etc...)

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking of building a rock tumbler also to clean up coins dug with metal detecting. Seems a guy could build one fairly cheap using even a old printer from a thrift shop and only cost a buck or 2. For larger scale versions you could use an electric motor off something like a ceiling fan, or even bigger... a swamp cooler motor, etc.... I would highly recommend building a small scale version or buying one on the cheap and test out some glass to find that look you are looking for. This way it is minimal cost and material use to see if you will get your desired results and you can try out sand, grit, different fluid types also (oils, waters (salt, distilled, tap), etc...)

The first run is gonna be in a cement mixer (free for us to use & already onsite) with sand, a few different size rocks thrown in & either well water or creek water. All that is free & onsite including the glass from the old bottle dump. We will probably be pretty selective on what types of glass we use trying to avoid clear glass as much as possible & we want thick glass like old thick bottle bottoms or insulators, nothing at all real thin. Want cobalt's, greens, any reddish color, & probably amber as there is a lot of that out there for sure. The light blue old glass insulators would be nice to use if any are there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread