What's new

Hood's Sarsaparilla

robertk

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 16, 2023
Messages
7,113
Reaction score
34,484
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IMG_0748.webp

Bottle Vitals​


DateColorShapeSize (Height x Width x Depth)Value*
Hood's Sarsaparilla1880sGreenRectangular9" x 3" x 1.75"$15.00

Bottle Views (click to enlarge):
FrontBackSideSideBottom
IMG_0748.webpIMG_0749.webpIMG_0750.webpIMG_0749.webpIMG_0752.webp
Hood's Sarsa ParillaApothecariesC I Hood & CoLowell Mass23

This bottle would have contained Sarsaparilla, a popular cure-all in the late 1800s. It was manufactured by Mr Charles Ira Hood at C.I. Hood & Company out of the "Hood Laboratory" in Lowell, Massachusetts. Mr Hood had started selling his sarsaparilla in 1876, and business rapidly grew, causing it to move production twice, finally building their famed Hood's Laboratory in 1882. That, too, expanded over time until by 1898, the building had 175,000 square feet of floor space, and was a the time the largest building in the world devoted to making patent medicine. Here's what it looked like, from a postcard from the period:

card00960_fr.webp


The sarsaparilla was marketed as a general cure all for all kinds of things, including "that tired feeling". It was said to promote purification of the blood and increased overall strength and vitality.

4f8717726944d69eaa9d62e191eb9b47.webp


cHJpdmF0ZS9sci9pbWFnZXMvd2Vic2l0ZS8yMDIyLTEyL2xyL2RpZ2l0YWxjd2NvbW1vbndlYWx0aGg0MTVwZDAxcy1pb...webp


The company marketed heavily, using newspapers, trading cards, leaflets, cookbooks, and calendars. Their calendars were apparently very popular and featured high quality original artwork.

1_343d60a4f03a87d6ed61737bfa7c0993.webp


ci-hood_cal3.webp


And of course every page of the calendars and books would promote one or more of the Hoods line of medicines. Like many medicines of the time, one of the main ingredients was alcohol, which may have had more to do with its medicinal effects than the other ingredients (sarsaparilla root, dandelion, gentian, and juniper berries), though sarsaparilla actually is known to be beneficial for arthritis and a few other things.

The company and its medicines was very popular and there is a lot more information online if you're inclined to search for it.

Finally, here is the before and after. Soap and water, a brush, a wooden pick, and vinegar were used for this one.

IMG_0704.webp IMG_0748.webp

* Value is based on sold eBay listings at the time of posting. Value varies with condition, but the bottle is fairly common (Hoods Laboratory was able to fill 10,000 bottles a day, and they had brewing capacity of nearly a half million bottles).
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0751.webp
    IMG_0751.webp
    198.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
"The sarsaparilla was marketed as a general cure all for all kinds of things, including "that tired feeling". It was said to promote purification of the blood and increased overall strength and vitality."

Dang! I need to get me some of that.

Another great bottle and presentation Mr. Robert.
Well done.
 
That is a very nice bottle. Thanks for all the information.
 
Robertk I have dug a couple of those bottles. I really like them, especially how heavy duty they are. Thanks for all the info, great history! Here's mine:
 

Attachments

  • Hood.webp
    Hood.webp
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
Another interesting post about a product that was fairly common at the time It was a nice bottle but the neck was broken off I had just began to dig a large site and wrote off the broken one as no problem I felt confident I would find a complete intact bottle before I was finished Well I was on the right track because I found a number of bottles that where in a number of pieces but none that where complete Generally I do not keep bottles that are broken With this Hoods bottle I ignored that policy I think itis just one of those Outstanding old bottles that jut jumps out at you and says Looook at me
 
Robert.... Was there just one of these in the collection...?
 
Robert.... Was there just one of these in the collection...?
I think this one has three. The one pictured is the best of the bunch.
 
"The sarsaparilla was marketed as a general cure all for all kinds of things, including "that tired feeling". It was said to promote purification of the blood and increased overall strength and vitality."

Dang! I need to get me some of that.

Another great bottle and presentation Mr. Robert.
Well done.
DANG I need to buy a tractor trailer and get a couple skid loads.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom