hookah help

smitty4687

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to start I have access to a brownie system I've been using. I've read how its a bad idea to make your own system and some swear DIY is the way to go. Just wondering about compressor a compressor type. Electric Hookamax uses medical grade compressor. Looking online found a medical grade dental compressor for $285. Would like to have a electric compressor also. https://www.smtmax.com/detail.php?id=229 is the website. SMTMax SL-40... Wife works for a DMD and may have something similar laying around just seeing if this may work.Any help is appreciated.

Single Motor Silent Oil-Free Air Compressor
Power (W) 480
Max pressure(Mpa): 115 PSI
Working pressure(Mpa): 0.8
Rated discharge: 0.85
Noise(dB): 48
Capacity(L/min): 89
Tank(L): 9
SL40.jpg

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at this diagram, I dont think this would work.

Typical hookah setups (hookah is around 1ATM or 33 feet) put out around 50psi and 2 to 4cfm per diver. If you are working hard, you will need more than 2CFM.

Looking at this, at 50 psi you get a little less than 2 cfm, and it never gets to 4, and then you have to consider what depth you want to max at.

hookah max is 2.55 at 65psi, while this one is about 1.75 at 65psi

It needs to be an oil free compressor, not necessarily a medical grade compressor.

A very common air compressor to use for hookah is the Thomas 1020. (2.62 CFM at 50PSI)

SuperSnorkel
ed-hh.jpg 8006123-11.jpg 575570d1444107350-thomas-oil-less-tankless-air-compressor-081.jpg

Last edited:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smitty4687

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have to add micron filters correct

Sent from my SM-N910V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Puma 12 Volt 1.5 Gallon Oil-Less Air Compressor 3.4cfm at 40psi run it off a deep cycle battery
30 amps, you can set the pressure, only runs when its being used shuts off when it reaches the set pressure
Puma 12 Volt 1.5 Gallon Oil-Less Air Compressor Free Shipping Oiless 12V | eBay

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Personally , I would avoid using any air compressor for breathing that has a steel air tank ! The reason being is that the condensation of the air will cause rusting of the inner portion of the tank. and this rust will eventually end up in your lungs. I have used the stainless steel "Korny keg" for my air reserve tank and it has the big opening so that you can clean /disinfect the inners of the tank to prevent any mold from forming (mold kills) . Plus I like installing a water trap / air filter to help "clean" the air I breath. Currently I have a Thomas T-80 compressor that's powered by a 3 H.P. gas engine and its all on inflatable floats just like the Keenes 2 inch dredge floats . I have it towed behind my Keene 2 inch dredge (just incase!)

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau, that is true, on any particles or water, you should always add a class D filter to any system for breathable air.

As far as mold, you will get that on any system if not maintained properly, scuba tanks are made of steel.

OP
OP
S

smitty4687

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help also I purchased a p180 pump. To put on a Honda gx120 that had a koshin pump on it. To find out the treads wouldn't work. I've been looking.is this the motor Keene and proline are using for their pumps. The Hondas are about $350
Honda Horizontal OHV Engine for Non-Honda Pumps — 118cc, GX Series, Threaded 5/8in. x 2 7/16in. Shaft, Model# GX120UT2TX2
Or would this briggs work?
Briggs and Stratton 550 Series Engine 5.5 TP OHV 5/8" Threaded Shaft #83132-1211
Which is $180.
If the Honda or briggs are not the correct models could someone point me towards the right one. Thanks

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have a 3 H.P. engine with my T-80 compressor on it ,plus its on inflatable floats and alumn. frame like Keene has for there 2 inch dredge. I also have it tethered to be behind my 2 inch Keene dredge just incase.............:occasion14:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 3 H.P. engine with my T-80 compressor on it ,plus its on inflatable floats and alumn. frame like Keene has for there 2 inch dredge. I also have it tethered to be behind my 2 inch Keene dredge just incase.............:occasion14:

+1 I got my honda knock off from Harbor Freight, on sale, and a 20% it came to $79 plus $6 ship. For that price you can't not have one

ratled

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau, that is true, on any particles or water, you should always add a class D filter to any system for breathable air.

As far as mold, you will get that on any system if not maintained properly, scuba tanks are made of steel.

And aluminum... And stainless steel accumulator bottles.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No tank needed... do it right... direct drive / cup comp.
High intake.
Inline particulate filter is all that is needed.

OP
OP
S

smitty4687

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I emailed keene about the engine they uae and the keene hp 160 I bought a week ago. I'll post a pic of the motor. I was told with pump I could not add air because the exhaust is on the wrong side. If someone could explain to me all the motors I look at the exhaust is the exact same. 20170605_180321.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exhaust should be directed away... intake should be snorkeled at least 15-18 inches ABOVE motor.

Higher the better.

Exhaust director can be obtained from some lawn mower supply parts houses.

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on where the exhaust hole on the muffler comes out it shouldn't come out the side or towards your air compressor
not a fan with using an intake snorkel, heat rises, right! it also gives a sense of being safe, exhaust fumes will kill you!
if the intake is low you will get good fresh air and pay attention to the direction the wind is blowing. be safe every dive...

might be able to change the muffler with an after market one, its only held on with two bolts,
I like my Briggs, never owned a Honda

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on where the exhaust hole on the muffler comes out it shouldn't come out the side or towards your air compressor
not a fan with using an intake snorkel, heat rises, right! it also gives a sense of being safe, exhaust fumes will kill you!
if the intake is low you will get good fresh air and pay attention to the direction the wind is blowing. be safe every dive...

might be able to change the muffler with an after market one, its only held on with two bolts,
I like my Briggs, never owned a Honda

Beings I am a compressor diver... I will only give you advice that will keep you alive. heh

There are more than one reason for a snorkel...

Close to the ground intake is not only a bad move... but can add some souvenirs of your dive permanently to you lungs for life.

The potential to suck up dusts created from the vibrations of the motor OR other dusts created from wind / breeze is a serious hazard.
No matter what filter you have installed... you are sucking up microscopic particulates... which depending on the area and comp of soil...
can remain a permanent addition to your lungs.

Also... another hazard can be mists created from being close or even around moving water itself...
water mists are FORCED into your breathing line and into your lungs.

And will also create molds in systems that are not completely dried of this vapor after each and every dive.

The wind statement is correct... this is always a concern no matter the setup.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what dredge hahaha.jpg See how far back I cut the vegetation to get as much clean air as possible and any breeze. Low tone BS have directional flow exhaust so point it straight up as hot air and gases rise and then NO snorkel as that's where they are above the engine to suck in the exhaust. If you point down or sides it feeds right back into your engine and clogs the air intake there also. Always err on the side of caution. John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread