Hoping for Information on Side Notched Points

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any information you can provide about the ID of the little side notched points would be very helpful.. Location, type is what I am hoping for. Isn't that 7.5" dovetail a dandy?

IMG_4976.JPG IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4980.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4976.JPG
    IMG_4976.JPG
    498.7 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection of points

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It's hard to tell what materials you may have from the pics, And the pictures through glass don't help the quality either.

Any idea where they are from? And some better pics of the Dove would sure be nice. We don't get to see many that long.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area found will be a big help. That looks like an old time tag on the dove. What does it say?

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy those are some nice ones, the Dove is just Killer!!
That Dove looks like a Farmer walking behind the mule and plow find, or an excavation you just don't find em like that in the fields. Kinda piece dreams are made of. In 25 years of walking the fields my biggest pieces of "unbroken" flint are just shy of 4 inches, a nice blade/knife and a stemmed lancelot.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find these or purchase them? Most of the ones in the frame look like typical modern Points you find in museums for around a buck each.

I would like to see better pics of the Dove from both side and from the side. Thank you.

OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here you go guys. No idea of the location on the small points. I do have a little knowledge that the dove was sold at the Tucson Gem show around the year 2000. Not sure who found it originally. Hard to tell, but it's about 7.75" in length.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Grim that the frame of points is modern. But that dovetail is beautiful! Thanks for the show ;) Yakker

OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great help, yakker and Grim! Not sure if I'm allowed to ask value here, but if that is allowed what is a ballpark value on the dovetail? I was looking for comps and had a hard time finding any like it. Must have been a rush to whoever found it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the smaller points I have heard of some collectors mixing in some points from other countries in there collections. Usually the modern points will be perfect and almost punched look to them. If those are modern it was a tough mold to follow. I don't think they are from the USA is what I am saying

OP
OP
ipsilateral

ipsilateral

Jan 5, 2005
MoCo
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Rock. That was my opinion also, however with a couple people saying they're modern, I think I have to go with repro.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The smaller points definitely look modern, a couple could be rechips of older broken pieces (adding notches to add some value.)

You didn't ask about the dove, so I'll just hold my opinion.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The smaller points definitely look modern, a couple could be rechips of older broken pieces (adding notches to add some value.)

You didn't ask about the dove, so I'll just hold my opinion.

He did ask if it weren't a dandy. That would be something you could answer I bet. :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread