🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Horseshoe and carvings

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening all. While exploring the woods of Western PA, near the Allegheny River, we came across some carvings on a rock outcropping deep in the woods.
The carving looks like it says
P.CSH.D
July 18. 1691
It could also be 1891, it's hard to say what the second digit it. Also, the J in July is backwards for some reason.
The presence of crosses suggests that it was left by missionaries. There are 2 crosses, and they are by far the deepest carvings. There are also 3 arrows pointing up at the bottom, with some kind of wave pattern between them. I know French explorers came through the area in 1677 and 1749, but those are the only major expeditions I know. I searched the area and only found some bullet casings and a rake. I also found this horseshoe of unknown age. There is a spring nearby and some equipment from early 1900s gas mining. Could anybody give me an idea of the age of the horseshoe? Otherwise I'm not sure how to get an idea of the area's age.

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_103608.jpg
    IMG_20220430_103608.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20220430_165402.jpg
    IMG_20220430_165402.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20220430_165408.jpg
    IMG_20220430_165408.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220430_103520.jpg
    IMG_20220430_103520.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 62

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening all. While exploring the woods of Western PA, near the Allegheny River, we came across some carvings on a rock outcropping deep in the woods.
The carving looks like it says
P.CSH.D
July 18. 1691
It could also be 1891, it's hard to say what the second digit it. Also, the J in July is backwards for some reason.
The presence of crosses suggests that it was left by missionaries. There are 2 crosses, and they are by far the deepest carvings. There are also 3 arrows pointing up at the bottom, with some kind of wave pattern between them. I know French explorers came through the area in 1677 and 1749, but those are the only major expeditions I know. I searched the area and only found some bullet casings and a rake. I also found this horseshoe of unknown age. There is a spring nearby and some equipment from early 1900s gas mining. Could anybody give me an idea of the age of the horseshoe? Otherwise I'm not sure how to get an idea of the area's age.
There,s an old grave yard near Arkansas Post that has letters with that reversed J. I don,t recall the dates,but know there,s graves from the 1700s there.Also French and Spanish explorers were there too,along with missionaries from that time period. That,s all I,ve got!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There,s an old grave yard near Arkansas Post that has letters with that reversed J. I don,t recall the dates,but know there,s graves from the 1700s there.Also French and Spanish explorers were there too,along with missionaries from that time period. That,s all I,ve got!
That's interesting. Somebody did suggest that it was a grave marker.

Upvote 1

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area you are talking about was so highly traversed for so long. I would be doubtful very many items that would be of real archeological value would still be there. Have you looked up Quaker(predominant residents from 1660-1920, forms of writing/note taking/scrypts/type faces? My family lives there in as Quakers. I have lived in Allentown for a short while in 2004.
Also the rock looks like an artificial like cement mix to me. I don't see real chistle markings. The shapes are too perfect.

The metal thing could be the number off a very old or no longer existent house 1800-1945?

Last edited:
Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The area you are talking about was so highly traversed for so long. I would be doubtful very many items that would be of real archeological value would still be there. Have you looked up Quaker(predominant residents from 1660-1920, forms of writing/note taking/scrypts/type faces? My family lives there in as Quakers. I have lived in Allentown for a short while in 2004.
Also the rock looks like an artificial like cement mix to me. I don't see real chistle markings. The shapes are too perfect.

The metal thing could be the number off a very old or no longer existent house 1800-1945?
The OP stated what it was and it is a correct ID
It's a half of a horse shoe-not a number off a house.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the quakers are worth looking into. I haven't heard much abiut them out here. The rockface is sedimentary rock. It's part of a series of boulders around 20 feet high

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread