Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Hot rock A single rock that is higher in minerals than those in the surrounding area.

Simple answer but says it.

If you get a strong repeatable hot rock signal, dig it, youy may come up with something good!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A meteorite containing metal would indeed be a hot rock! Ditto a piece of coal. Coal drives my detectors nuts. I don't know if it is all coal or just that found around here. Monty

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
I did not know coal would effect a MD, well is their any other odd minerals that will cause a detector to go nuts, or is the mineral thing not that big a deal. The land around here is mostly Red Clay, or a mixture of sand top soil and red clay, also some sand stone. And a gold mine or two that has been mined a long time ago how long I'm not shure.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a few words, the mineral thing sometimes can be that big a deal. That's why you will see a lot of detectors with either a MANUAL ground balance control or Automatic ground tracking listed in the features. Most machines that don't have one or the other are preset machines set to an average ground mineralization. That works quite well in many areas but in highly mineralized areas the only option for smooth detecting is to drop the sensitivity way down which will probably lose some targets. Hope this clarifies.
HH
Bill

OP
OP
M

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Yes I'm beginning to uderstand all this techno jiggie, I have read enough, bought time I learned something huh, ;D Thanks O yeah I'm hopefully going to get a unit with auto, and manual ground tracking, balanceing ect settings, I see where this come in to play. Thanks

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I don't know why they are called that pick one up and it was cold unless its a volcanic rock

L

LandStar

My Bounty Hunter Land Star has auto and manual ground balance controls...Here in NY where the ground is clay and limestone mostly, it helps to a great deal...In my local area, there is also a LOT of coal fragments...left overs from years gone by when all the furnaces in homes were coal burning. Also thee is a railroad line that brought coal to the nearby power plant here in Solvay, NY.

Bob

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
strike it rich said:
I don't know why they are called that pick one up and it was cold unless its a volcanic rock
Because with minerals it gets warmer faster in the camp fire! ::) ;D
I don't really have any problem with hot rocks in my place rather the slag for iron(?) production is annoying.

L

LandStar

Not sure, but isn't RED Clay a combination of clay and IRON??? if so, I would think the ground as a whole would be hot...would think hunting in all metal mode without a ground balance control would be useless....I may be wrong though, as our clay up here is gray.

LandStar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread