What's new

Hot rocks, oh how they mess with us

49er12

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2013
Messages
1,350
Reaction score
1,713
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot rocks, what are they made of and they read like a good target. A stone or rock that isn’t everywhere but dam throws you off, well no perfect detector or operator here. Any of you experience hot rocks
 
There's a part of my yard I just quit trying because of them. I'm really curious as to where they come from though because I occasionally find them in fields, orchards, homesites and just about anywhere else. They drive me CRAZY.
 
They can be a real problem at times, but I dig just about every signal anyway...glutten for punishment! On the bright side, my philosophy has yeilded some killer finds! :icon_thumleft:
 
What’s your digging philosophy, sounds are important, how about your vdi if it simp,y jumps all over or stays with in a few numbers what’s your determination on dig or not even though you said dig everything, thanks
 
I've had pieces of coal that set off my pinpointer...
 
As I understand the definition of "hot rocks" they are rocks containing iron oxides: magnetite, hematite, limonite, maghemite and lepidocrocite.

Magnetite (Fe3O4) being the most common. My F-75 has a side bar graph that shows the level of Magnetite and helps me "avoid" hot rocks. Though sometimes I dig anyway and find interesting iron/steel relics.
 
Yes to hot rocks. Most of the coal clinkers I can easily tell with my Deus, other hot rocks also have, well, call it an "after tone", it rings, then rings back. On my old, old, old Tesoro, the granite rocks were a huge problem.
 
I've never dug up a hot rock in my area.
 
I do not hunt near railroad tracks or old school running tracks that are made of cinders since they are infested with hot rocks.
 
Dig in a dry creek bed looking for nuggets hot rocks will drive you nuts trust me. But you got to dig all signals or miss the goodies. Have fun anyways.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom