What's new

Hotel Tag - Old

pointdlr

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
414
Reaction score
78
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
I found this tag(that is what I am calling it) at a very old Cincinnati home. At one point, I figured out the maker went way back in time, but I still have some questions.
1) what was it used for?
2) Is there a way to find out about the hotel? exact location? was it nice? years of operation?
3) are any more of these known from the hotel?
4) does anyone collect this type of relic?

thanks for your help,
Jon Dickinson
 

Attachments

  • 32608a.webp
    32608a.webp
    63.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 32608b.webp
    32608b.webp
    41 KB · Views: 336
Neat item and very interesting site on the checks. The Metropolitan Hotel in NYC opened in 1852.

This is from the Massachusetts Sun, 4/29/1852

24e0tiq.jpg


Another neat piece of history on the hotel which I may explore further - from this article in the NY Herald Tribune 3/3/1871 re: Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall

24lr713.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Great info guys!!!!!!!!! We are getting somewhere.
From what I can gather from the postings, The Met. Hotel NYC was opened in 1852. This date is an early active date for the Robbins Company, and probably the year the tag was produced? Any input on this theory?
It also appears that the Met. Hotel was World Class. This was my hunch, b/c the property I found the tag at belonged to an extremely rich family in the 1850's.
Now if I can figure out what the tag was used for, and if there are any known examples, that would be really cool.
Keep it coming,
Jon Dickinson.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe hooked to a room key - with the number and then the "U" for upstairs or upper level?


B
 
Upvote 0
If you are able/willing to give me the name of the people who lived in the house perhaps they will show up in the society pages on the date that visited the hotel. I.e. I searched for Metropolitan Hotel and "of Cincinnati" and got this hit from The New York Herald 12/9/1870

35aus5v.jpg
 
Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
Maybe hooked to a room key - with the number and then the "U" for upstairs or upper level?


B

I wondered that :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Bramble,
Wow, that is awesome info. I need to contact the property owners to get the name. If I remember right, the guy was a Senator, but I can't remember. Wouldn't that be crazy if I could tie that story together? Thanks for the info. That is really cool.
Here is a picture of the house where I found the tag.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
P.S.- Did you see "Anna Dickinson" in the one story?
 

Attachments

  • metaldetecting422008a.webp
    metaldetecting422008a.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 221
  • metaldetecting422008a.webp
    metaldetecting422008a.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0
Jon, nice tag. I found a similar one a few months ago made by the same co. but from a Mass. hotel. Don't know how old mine is either. Nice piece of history...Rich
 

Attachments

  • 013.webp
    013.webp
    114.5 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0
Nice house!

I checked into that CH Blackburn some more and it appears he did not commit suicide after all. This is from Arkansas Gazette 3/26/1887 ;D

30sx4ba.jpg


I did find him in the 1878 directory and it said his office was 269 Walnut and home n.w.c. Clark & Central (I think that means northwest corner). Probably not your house..right?

Let me know if you get the info from the owners and would like me to see if I can find anything.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom