Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brookfield Missouri Gazette​

12 Mar 1921, Sat · Page 2

000aaa.jpg

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
The house where I think the treasure of Moctezuma is located, perhaps a couple hundred yards from where I sit, is believed to be around 500 years old. Since my wife's grandfather died, they let it fall down when there is an earthquake, but when my 81 year old wife was a girl it was still a great house. And, her grandpa repaired any damage.

It was made of large rocks piled up, with no concrete in those days. They did use some quicklime which helped. And, the roofs were of boards, a primitive roof I guess. Correction! There were boards, but they served as a frame on which were what is known as Spanish tiles. In 1976, an earthquake caused those tiles to fall on Tia Rosa's head. She survived after six months in a hospital in Mexico city, but was twisted for the rest of her life

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Gosh, I dunno'. 1000 years old? I did a browser search for old houses, and found several but they were like 1570 or so. Of course, it is believed some of those old cliff dwellings may be much older, but that is my best guess. "Mine" (I wish) was definitely built before Noche Triste. The Aztecs conquered this region in 1503, per UNAM, and their standard practice would have been to install a family member to keep an eye on the conquered people. Someone who had rights, but they did not want him to be too close, heh, heh.

Before the Revolution, and all the government records were burned, my wife's grandma was shown the deeds for the property, and Moctezuma II was listed as owner. Though I do not remember his date of death, it was before Noche Triste.

If the alleged oldest house in Mexico was built in 1570, I don't think they have investigated very well.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
We had a major earthquake, I think 1999, and it took down more of the original house. I happened to be here that day, and it was my first serious quake. I immediately realized I understood earthquakes, by the sounds. I worked sometimes on Military equipment, and we had to test each box at vibration, 6.3g, pseudorandom vibrations, and I had heard that sound almost daily for years. Though the 6.3g probably wasn't correct, it sounded exactly like what I was used to. I understood why things that broke, broke.

So, I had no fear at all. After the bigger 7.2 quake in 2017, I freaked out the dentist when I told her I thought earthquakes were fun. :D

We built our 2850 square foot house on the adjacent lot. Our builder used a design created by Federal Engineers to survive an 8.0 quake.

That 1999 quake took out the last section of the house with a door, of those like the cathedral doors with the big nail heads on them. Obviously the doors were not there when the house was built, because the Aztecs did not work with steel.

My wife's uncle eventually asked if we wanted that last door. When four men were carrying the door to our under-construction house, a woman driving by stopped and offered a lot of money for it. It is built into our house, even though it is in rough shape. As a door, it isn't much. As a historical piece, it is nearly priceless.

But, when we built our house, I told the builder I wanted it to be part of the patrimony of the village, so I wanted it built to last 100 years. He said if you give me the money I ask it will last 500 years. I thought, "Yeah, sure!" But others have agreed it will last 500 years.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
We currently have a serious outbreak of Dengue. A number of sick folk, but only one dead, a 71 year old neighbor. This is Mexico, so it is not unusual to take care of neighbors. A cousin lives across the street and down a sharp incline. She has an order of quarantine, since she and her son had bad fevers with dengue.

I dug into my reserves and have been taking various foods, such as canned soups, and canned Tuna.

Mexico has a reputation of being very family oriented, very helpful to anyone in the family who needs help. But, it is exaggerated. There are good families, and there are bad families. Her husband died some years ago, and she was unable to find steady work. Instead of helping her, they stole from her. For several years, she and her son had only tortillas with salt, to eat. That is not good for a dog.

I told her that her family reminds me of my own. With a family like ours you have no unmet need for enemies. Which is why, I guess, I am in Mexico. I can't even tell you about our family here in Mexico. I break down and can't talk any more. I can't believe how wonderful they are. I tell people if Heaven is as good as this village I want to go to Heaven.

We had a minor crime wave last week. Several punks stared walking around town and stealing anything that was not nailed down. We called the cops when we had one of them under my porch. They didn't even send a patrol car to talk to us. So, the punks thought they had total impunity. In Mexico, such events usually end up with a 'linchamiento', that is, a lynching. Some boys told me Saturday, they finally arrested them, thus probably saving their lives. :D

Everyone took another look at their household security. Our weak link was the ancient door. We had a pile of block inside, and a piece of chain with a padlock. So, my nephew is here, and he will put two cups devices across the door, with heavy steel of dimensions of a four-by-four to drop in those cups and a 3900 pound Holstein bull couldn' t kick in that door.

That door is a terrible door, in very bad condition, but its historical value is almost priceless. In the USA, there are trees whose wood is very resistant to bugs and rot, such as Cedar and Redwood. Parts of this door are in very good condition, so I am wondering if they are of one of those resistant woods.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
We currently have a serious outbreak of Dengue. A number of sick folk, but only one dead, a 71 year old neighbor. This is Mexico, so it is not unusual to take care of neighbors. A cousin lives across the street and down a sharp incline. She has an order of quarantine, since she and her son had bad fevers with dengue.

I dug into my reserves and have been taking various foods, such as canned soups, and canned Tuna.

Mexico has a reputation of being very family oriented, very helpful to anyone in the family who needs help. But, it is exaggerated. There are good families, and there are bad families. Her husband died some years ago, and she was unable to find steady work. Instead of helping her, they stole from her. For several years, she and her son had only tortillas with salt, to eat. That is not good for a dog.

I told her that her family reminds me of my own. With a family like ours you have no unmet need for enemies. Which is why, I guess, I am in Mexico. I can't even tell you about our family here in Mexico. I break down and can't talk any more. I can't believe how wonderful they are. I tell people if Heaven is as good as this village I want to go to Heaven.

We had a minor crime wave last week. Several punks stared walking around town and stealing anything that was not nailed down. We called the cops when we had one of them under my porch. They didn't even send a patrol car to talk to us. So, the punks thought they had total impunity. In Mexico, such events usually end up with a 'linchamiento', that is, a lynching. Some boys told me Saturday, they finally arrested them, thus probably saving their lives. :D

Everyone took another look at their household security. Our weak link was the ancient door. We had a pile of block inside, and a piece of chain with a padlock. So, my nephew is here, and he will put two cups devices across the door, with heavy steel of dimensions of a four-by-four to drop in those cups and a 3900 pound Holstein bull couldn' t kick in that door.

That door is a terrible door, in very bad condition, but its historical value is almost priceless. In the USA, there are trees whose wood is very resistant to bugs and rot, such as Cedar and Redwood. Parts of this door are in very good condition, so I am wondering if they are of one of those resistant woods.
Sorry. Due to grammatical. error, the last sentence in previous posting may have implied the wood for the door may be cedar or redwood. That was not what I meant to say. Mexico has woods as resistant to insects and rot as cedar or redwood, but they are other species. I guess cedar does exist but probably not where I live. My builder knows the names of the local woods, but if he told me, I forget.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread