What's new

House, Shed, Barn?-UPDATE

  • Thread starter Thread starter Felinepeachy
  • Start date Start date
F

Felinepeachy

Guest
This is near where I live and I just gawk at it every time I drive by, it's so interesting. Notice how many doors. I don't have a clue to how old it is but does anyone have an idea as to what it was? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • Metal Detecting in KY 011.webp
    Metal Detecting in KY 011.webp
    161.3 KB · Views: 953
  • Metal Detecting in KY 012.webp
    Metal Detecting in KY 012.webp
    140 KB · Views: 949
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Maybe it could be an apartment house for some workers on a farm. That could explain the extra doors. It could also be a smoke house or something similar. If it were a barn I think it would have bigger doors.
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Bunk house for workers? Thats my guess. Sure others will chime in with a guess.
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

It looks like an old store to me. I know down South, people generally lived in the area as their store, either above, beside or behind it; either way, it was under the same basic roof. One of the side doors was probably to the home portion, and the other for the store. The shorter add-on building was probably for some type of storage. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Hi Peach , It looks like an old barn for goats. Prob 1940s I'd guess :coffee2: Ex
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Felinepeachy said:
How old do we think it is?

I'm guessing maybe the 1930's? The more I look at it, the more I think it is a store/house combo. Note there is a window on the far left, and the door next to it appears to have a glass, which probably was the house section. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Hey that's my house!!!! :laughing7:
I think a couple people might be right.
Breezie has a good idea about the store as there were some like she talked about near where I live. A couple were still open in the 1970's
It also looks like it has been used to house animals as well.
Like DirtyMike said a barm would have had bigger doors.
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Looks like there may have been a chimney in the middle of the roof.... That would probably rule out a barn, so I would lean toward Breezie's explanation.
-whynot
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Early 1900's School house 1 door for the boys and 1 for the girls, coal stove in the middle. Privy off the back.

Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

nova treasure said:
Early 1900's School house 1 door for the boys and 1 for the girls, coal stove in the middle. Privy off the back.

Nova Treasure

They had separate doors? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

The hole in the roof probualy was a vent to let the heat out in the summer.The eve above the barn looks large enough to store Hay in. Behind the tree on the front of the structure it apears to have a low wide door as to let small farm animals in. Say, Next time by ,Jump the fence and get some more pictures around back and the inside !
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

I just talked to a friend of mine that has one like that.
the end with the window is a canning kitchen, right next to that is the coal room, and next to that is for firewood
the house would be about 50 ft. to the left looking at the picture
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Felinepeachy said:
nova treasure said:
Early 1900's School house 1 door for the boys and 1 for the girls, coal stove in the middle. Privy off the back.

Nova Treasure

They had separate doors? :dontknow:

There is some schools that had 2 seperate front doors and including Meeting houses in Ky. There are a couple here in my area, but most likely the one you posted is a tendant house.

Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Well now for my next question. Is it worth trying to hunt around it?
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Felinepeachy said:
Well now for my next question. Is it worth trying to hunt around it?

I say it would be a great place to hunt. Somebody, somewhere, sometime, dropped something in that yard. Hunt it before it collapses and rots. Then you got all those nails and tin to deal with.

Good Luck
Randy
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

I would search it, you never know what you might find
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

You've already found a fortune there even if you never swing a coil. Do you know how much that old barn wood is worth? People pay top dollar for picture frames and the like made out of that stuff.

But yeah, as old as that place is there's got to be a good amount of pocket spill around it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

Yep, I would hunt it, and your finds will probably determine what the building was used for and the dates. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom