What's new

House, Shed, Barn?-UPDATE

  • Thread starter Thread starter Felinepeachy
  • Start date Start date
F

Felinepeachy

Guest
This is near where I live and I just gawk at it every time I drive by, it's so interesting. Notice how many doors. I don't have a clue to how old it is but does anyone have an idea as to what it was? :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • Metal Detecting in KY 011.webp
    Metal Detecting in KY 011.webp
    161.3 KB · Views: 953
  • Metal Detecting in KY 012.webp
    Metal Detecting in KY 012.webp
    140 KB · Views: 949
Congrats :thumbsup:
Get out there girl and start digging.
Wishing you lots of finds and fun :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Peach; You will score big :icon_farao: on the digs at that house Wtg . Looking forward to see the finds !
 
Upvote 0
Methinks there will be a lot of re-newed interest in this thread! Myself included!
 
Upvote 0
It might pay to look inside that old piano. Be careful in
them old building and please show pics of your finds.
Have fun and good luck. Jimbob
 
Upvote 0
Felinepeachy said:
I asked what the place was and they said it's a 150 year old house and for years a "colored" family lived there and when they bought the property they even lived in it temporarily.
Juke Joint
 
Upvote 0
Re: House, Shed, Barn?

lastleg said:
"Red Light" houses usually had a piano for entertainment. Plenty of cribs too.

funny I thought "Bordello" first glance lol
 
Upvote 0
In this neck of the woods (deep South), I saw many, many houses shaped like that with two "front" doors when I was growing up. My aunt and uncle had one, in fact. One door led to the parlor/living room, the other to a bedroom. Few are left now because most weren't painted and were constructed with non-treated wood. In heavy humidity areas, they don't last many decades. It looks like the back bedroom was an add-on for more room or kitchen. The only one local that's left was featured in the newspaper about a year ago. It is still lived in. A wringer washing machine is on the front porch, and clothes generally hang from ropes stretched across the front porch. It was sealed back in the 40s with that fake brown brick-looking tar siding paper, so has held up fairly well, plus it's built up off the ground on blocks. No ground-to-board contact.

Really watch for varmints! And I'll bet that piano has real ivory keys. Yes, be sure to lift the top and check, and also drop down the knee panel. And looks like the ceiling/roof isn't too reliable, either. I'll be checking back! HH!!
 
Upvote 0
:hello:

Mia...it looks like a place were wild critters would go, and for some nice person to go along and feed them :wink:

SS
 
Upvote 0
dont forget to look for outlines of buildings not there anymore
there had to be more, over that 150yr period
HH dont forget the pics
 
Upvote 0
I found an ax head in a place like that one time. It was down about 4 inches and no sign of a handle. Cleaned up real nice. Someone had propped it up next to the house, and the rest is history.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom