What's new

How are gas prices affecting your detecting?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
1,927
Reaction score
62
Golden Thread
0
Location
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of us in the colder climates that really haven't kicked off our season yet, I was wondering if the rising price of gas is affecting others frequency of and distance for detecting.

I personally like to hunt those elusive places, old foundations, out in the woods, middle of nowhere looking and hoping for my first really old copper. Not so much hitting the worked to death parks even though I can once in a while pop a silver.

Problem I have is being in a city like situation and over time have slowly spiraled out, farther and farther, til I'm looking at an hours drive or more to hunt a good spot. I don't want to drive that far and only have an hour or two to detect. I want to be able to spend time and slowly work an area unless it becomes overly obvious it's a dud. Finding that much time to detect for me is a luxery even though I'm single.

I have a gf I see once a week and work pounds us with overtime.

Now with gas prices creeping up, I feel less inclined to even go scouting, which I love to do, even if I don't have a machine with me.

I even drive a Cavilier that gets around 30 mpg. I just have tight finances with a single income, mortgage, etc....

Hoping gas prices stabilize soon...these .10 a day increase, every other day is getting crazy.

Al
 
Lol, always makes me think of American tourists hiring a car in London and being too shocked and too poor to drive out of the car park at Heathrow airport! :laughing9: :tongue3:
 
I drive a Chevy Impala, a flex fuel car so my prices for E85 are over a dollar less per gallon. I think of it this way. If I pay X amount of cents to drive Y number of miles, I'd gladly pay that than care for a horse and buggy. Driving is still a lot cheaper than hauling a bass boat around for a fish I can't keep. :laughing7:
 
Certainly if gasoline prices continue to rise I will be exploring other avenues to metal detect, such as backyards and lawns, preferably within walking distance. Although I am retired, I can well afford gasoline purchase but choose not to do so because every dollar I spend at the pump fattens the coffiers of the oil companies which is something I don't wish to contribute to.
 
The gas prices really suck. Today it's @ $3.99 for regular in Northern California. Just about every Saturday I make my trek down to San Francisco to hunt the old parks, it's about a 100 mile round trip from my Santa Rosa area. I guess I'll need to load up on hunting buddies to share the cost of gas.
 
Dano Sverige said:
Lol, always makes me think of American tourists hiring a car in London and being too shocked and too poor to drive out of the car park at Heathrow airport! :laughing9: :tongue3:

If you guys would eliminate those astronomical taxes you put on a liter of petrol your price would drop by 50%!
 
I walked seven miles one way to detect last week.didn't cost me any thing.My gram-pa told me that air is free.
 
liftloop said:
I walked seven miles one way to detect last week.didn't cost me any thing.My gram-pa told me that air is free.

yeah, it's free... for now.... give them time, they'll find a way to tax you for that too...

so far gas here in my Kansas town is holding steady. it even went down today to $3.32 from 3.35
 
nope gas prices don't stop me.

Only thing I do is try smarter ways to get what I want. I want beach camp trip. 10 hrs one way to Hatteras to detect on the beach----but instead I booked Hunting Island SC for a 5 hr. trip one way. I save money, get what I want and have my beloved beach detecting.

truly the diff. in gas for driving somewhere is not truly that 'huge'

I think gas increases in our face constantly 'just get on our nerves'--along with every other cost increase.

Live within your means of what you make and you can live wonderful.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom