What's new

How are most rings lost in the water?

toyotaman3356

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
22
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cocoa Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been trying to figure out what causes rings to be lost in the water. What depth should I focus on for the best use of my limited time. This is for the tourist beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.
 
Upvote 0
I have only been detecting a few months, but have started going to neck deep, it was a liitle tricky but interesting, still working on developing my technique. Thinking about trying a mask and snorkel soon. This is in the great lakes, so relatively calmer, but can be kind of choppy, I stay about waist deep on those days.

Anyone tie their scoop to themselves? I thinking to do that on the deeper work.

HH

Pete
 
This Post May Make the Top 100 On treasurenet Chug!!!!
 
Last edited:
I been finding alot of my gold off of fishing jetties - I think people throw them intentionally - divorce or break up
(when I was young my mother told me of girls throwing class rings out into water from their cheating boyfriends)
or they throw rocks or pennies - other objects and the ring goes too
 
I been finding alot of my gold off of fishing jetties - I think people throw them intentionally - divorce or break up
(when I was young my mother told me of girls throwing class rings out into water from their cheating boyfriends)
or they throw rocks or pennies - other objects and the ring goes too
I was fishing on a boat with a friend of mine and when he made a cast I heard something plop in the water. I asked him what that was and he said "my class ring".
 
Sorry but I like this thread too much so I'm bumping it up. For us newbies it is too interesting.
 
Denarius said:
Sorry but I like this thread too much so I'm bumping it up. For us newbies it is too interesting.

I agree! I havent lost a ring but I learned not to wear earrings while metal detecting. :D I had a little boy following me around at a park and I had to keep removing my headphones to hear him and I lost one of my opal earrings my dad had made me. :o(
 
Anywhere there is activity.That includes coming and going in the water or on land. Think about it how many times have you gone to the beach and stored your belongings in your shoes or jean shorts pockets jewelry/change and grab them and leave then stop to get a coke only to find the 1.50 you had in change is gone. Metal expands when it get's warm gold and silver + cold or sweaty oily fingers = lost. Ankle to neck is where I find a lot of stuff If it's a cold lake ankle to waist deep.
 
I agree with what some have said about mothers loosing rings in the shallow water because they bring their squirming kids with them and the kids rip them off. I think the next place people lose rings is from hip to neck-deep. They need to be out deep enough to get their hands wet and cold. If they only go in knee-deep, the hands stay dry and the rings stay on.
 
I was just told this story from an older friend. Her daughter and son in law were at the beach. He had just bought an expensive gold neck chain on his card. When he got up from his chair it was gone. And they never found it. This one was lost in the dry sand near the beach chairs.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom