How are you dealing with the heat?

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
I know a lot of the US is going through a heat wave, it has been 113 the past 3 days here, and is supposed to continue until friday , saturday is gonna be mid 80's.....so I will be hunting all day to make up for this week....as for staying cool, I bought a case of water, a case of Heineken, popcicles for me and pupsicles for my dog...I can't get him off the couch to do anything....and the AC is nice and cool.....be careful all...this kinda heat can kill ya....HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stay home
lock the kids and the dog in the car for the day
ahhh peace and quiet

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Stay out of it as much as possible. I can stand the heat but the humidity here in north Florida and south Bama is really tough. We had to wait until the evening to harvest the garden. That's how hot it is here.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At work, (I deliver furniture) I've got a small cooler on the work truck filled with water and Gatorade. When I'm detecting I've got a 3 liter Camelbak. I don't hunt without it. I wear lighter colors, sunscreen and an old BDU cap with a towel sewn to the back of it. It's long enough to cover the back of my neck and then some and is good for wiping the sweat from my face.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
It was 115 degrees in our house last night went I got home from work. As it turns out, after calling the a/c repair guy at 9 p.m., it was a bad "capacitator", he replaced it with a different version. and the blades starting turning again....awww sweet music to our ears last night, although it would take a good amount of hours to cool the 2400 sq ft home again
after those temp extremes inside the house.

This morning it was down to 94 degrees from the 115 last night, so it is getting there.
Man, I really gotta find some treasure soon, to make up for that a/c bill last night !!!

Wish everyone Best of Luck hunting ;-)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
It gets tough, but I have to go out for at least about a 3 hour hunt. I don't get much time off, so I have to take advantage when I can.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
I sometimes use a "mister" device when MDing. Actually, it is simply a air pump pressurized insulated canister with a tube & very smaill clip on nozzle....you put canister on belt loop, clip tube to your hat visor, and release a fine, cool "Mist" when ya need it...helps alot !

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
in South Fl, i just sweat and deal with it. my attire of choice is old navy cargo shorts, tall boots and a t shirt.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I usually went out in the early morning or late afternoon...but lately, even at 8pm at night...it's unbearable!!! You walk outside and it's like it takes your breathe away, you can't breathe!!!!

I hope it cools down some prior to August 26th when we go camping, thank goodness it's on a lake, time for a night time dip!!!!!

May invest in one of those UMBRELLA HATS and attach a sprayer to it while digging for diamonds in Arkansas.......I hope Arkansas is cooler than Virginia Beach LMAO!!! (Wishful thinking!)

Stay cool, drink plenty of water and ya'll be safe out there if you feel that urge to dig!!!
Happy Safe Hunting,
Annmarie

PS: 95 out now with the heat index at 110.....whew! Temp inside, a nice 72!!!!! Guess where I'm staying? LOL

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I work on a farm and I hate to say it but, when I get home I just want to take a shower and relax. MDing has been on the back burner lately. I am hoping to get out more this fall.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hate the heat! I wear lighter clothes with a long sleeve shirt over a tshirt, sunscreen and a cap, lots of water. I also use one of those neck bandannas that you soak in ice water and it keeps you cool for awhile, I always resoak it in the ice chest a few times during the hunt, I also take the long sleeve shirt off and soak it in the ice chest from time to time and then I am good to go for awhile more. Lately I am more inclined to hunt in a shady park then at the beach or in a field.

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
Yep, the heat has been rough this week, I spent my free time that I would normally use detecting, searching through old maps, records etc to find some good spots to hunt once this heat passes, I think I have found some good spots-------Stay cool all :)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shorter hunts closer to home , lots of water pop and gatoraid in a cooler, 99 here today with heat index of 116 and very very humid, but gonna get in the upper 80s this weekened and humid, i see a decent hunt this weekened ;)

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Alot of common ideas ya'll....guess the good folks here at TNET think smarter, not "hotter",LOL.

warwagon72

Aug 17, 2006
Hamilton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Sunray DX-1, 9.5, 6X10, 4X6 coils. Bulls eye backup
Go early morning, 6 am, late evening after 8pm. Drink lots of water. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread