How Can I Clean a Cone Top Beer Can?

angifogg

Apr 24, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this recently, I cleaned most of the surface dirt off, but it still has lots of rust over the label.

How do I safely clean or de-rust this without ruining it?

I read some where that citric acid granules work well, but where do you purchase it?

Thanks in advance for your help.. :hello:

Attachments

• HPIM4826.JPG
    HPIM4826.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 425
  • HPIM4826.JPG
    HPIM4826.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 304
  • HPIM4825.JPG
    HPIM4825.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 495

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A mixed solution of water and oxalic acid will do the trick. Make sure you are in a well-vented area and wear rubber gloves. After the bath in this solution, neutralize the acid with a baking soda bath. The paint on the can should remain intact and the vast majority of the rust will disappear. Good Luck!

RelicRick

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either works well. Citric will remove the rust without hurting the paint. Make a solution & apply with a rag if you think you have pin holes or spots that are really thin. I usually work over the sink. If the metal starts to go, I run water over it. Citric really doesn't need to be neutralized any more than a good rinse. Dry your can completely then give a rub with some Minwax finishing wax.

NOTE: The rust is oxide, meaning the metal is gone. The more you remove the rust the bigger chance you're gonna end up with swiss cheese. The two in the pictures with the labels partly intact, I would clean the tops & bottoms with citric, gently, very gently clean the sides then give them a good cleaning with Scotts Liquid Gold to brighten up the labels. The third one I'd clean with citric and wipe & buff with finishing wax.

Look in the phone book for a home brewing supplier. They can order it for you if they don't already stock it. You can get it from 1 oz. up to 50lbs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread