mikeymetal

Greenie
Sep 1, 2020
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I just started detecting and I'm finding lots of pennies that look to have been chewed by a lawnmower. I'm wondering how mutilated they can get before a bank will no longer accept them. For example see the lower left in the attached photo.

I read that the US Mint had a mutilated coin program but it seems they halted it mid-2019. Thanks for any feedback you have.

IMG_1628.jpeg

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you fill up a roll and turn it into the bank, I think any condition will work :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank rejected a bunch in their opinion they could not identify as cents.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our cents starting in late 1982 were made of zinc with a thin copper plating. Once moisture and chemicals (especially salt) get under that copper layer, they start to dissolve. Most tellers won't accept coins with chunks missing. Sometimes you can get away with putting them in the middle of a roll. Sometimes businesses will accept them, but, not often. I tumble all my crusty ones first and then run everything through a Coinstar to weed out the culls. I generally toss the worst ones.

OP
OP
mikeymetal

mikeymetal

Greenie
Sep 1, 2020
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the feedback. :thumbsup:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just mix that one in a roll of good coins and you'll be ok.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Yep. I'm done trying to clean up nasty zincolns and just toss them in the trash. I keep the nice ones to spend and a few years back I was tumbling them and found one that is a blank planchet. It cleaned up really nice for a dug zinc.
Some of my best finds were penny signals so don't pass them up, imo.

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save all of my bent and mutilated coins with the hopes that the Mint will re-up its mutilated coin redemption program. It's really not feasible for one person to send in their damaged change because the postage alone would eat up the redemption value. My goal is for my digging club to combine all of our damaged change and send them in for redemption, and then use the proceeds to donate to a local charity.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
When I have a dispute with a credit card issuer, I send my crap in to them as a payment. It costs a bit to send it, but they will not pay return shipping, and if they keep it, it is considered a valid payment.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IIRC, there is a limit to how many cents can be used to satisfy a debt. I think that number is 25. That doesn't mean someone can't accept more if they want to, but, they're not required to take more than 25, unless that law has been changed or repealed.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
IIRC, there is a limit to how many cents can be used to satisfy a debt. I think that number is 25. That doesn't mean someone can't accept more if they want to, but, they're not required to take more than 25, unless that law has been changed or repealed.

That is true, I think, but, if they fail to return them, then they are accepting them.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Put them in a donations box, or at the gas stations "put a penny - take a penny" cup.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread