How Deep Do You Dig??

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I am new to metal detecting and still trying to figure out my garrett gti 1500. I know there are several factors that affect how deep your detector goes, but I seem to find decent targets in the 25-50 cent range and dinging like crazy but after digging down about 16 inches on several occasions I just gave up and filled the hole in. Should I continue to dig or do you think its a false signal or something?? I did dig it once before it was about 13 inches down and I got a crushed up soda can. I also read on various message boards that after 6 inches the treasure imaging is not accurate, is this correct?? If this is correct how do you guys know what to dig and what not to dig? Thanks for any info.

Upvote 0
F

flash

You have a nice detector.I don't own the 1500 but I have used one.Maybe you need to get used to the machine.That unit has target size,ID and depth,they are pretty accurate also.Do you look at all this info before you dig?No detector is accurate when it comes to deep targets.
16" is to far to dig,exspecially if you are looking for a coin,but I'm sure you know that.

Large Aluminum, iron and steel fool most detectors,reading coins..well at least mine does.The deepest coin I have found yet was a quarter at 8-9 inches.

What I do is lift the coil off the ground with these deeper targets.If it is still picking up the target with the coil 10-12 inches off the ground,,its not a coin!And you know it is something big.Then I decide if I still want to dig it.I'll dig 10"-12" if the pinpointer dont pick it up at that point ,,I quit.

Or you can do like my friend that owns a gti 1500.If it is deeper that 8 " ,,he don't touch it.He does well though.Its all a matter of trial and error.There is no easy answer,but I try to at least get a look a look at whatever it is.

Good luck,,

OP
OP
R

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I do use the target ID and pinpointing, although I read that after 6 inches it is inaccurate so some coins do come up as a D size. I will try the tip with lifting the detector off the ground and see what happens. I was into the habit of digging everything until I understand what the machine is telling me. Thanks alot for the good info.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
My philosophy is keep digging! Who knows what is buried out there. Just because it is 16" deep doesn't mean its not a chest full of coins! I have heard many stories, especially in England, of caches of coins buried in the ground. Maybe Pirates Treasure?????

KEEP DIGGING TILL YOU FIND IT!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Should I continue to dig or do you think its a false signal or something??"
NO!
I believe it is either a false signal or your detector is not properly adjusted/tuned or your pinpointing is way off. 1st of all, is that a double "D" coil? They pinpoint differently then a concentric coil. Normal coil is dead center but double "D" is a little tricky until you learn how to PP with it. Can you pinpoint a dime under a piece of black paper laying on the ground? make sure you can if any doubt and make sure you are not cheating.

Are you sure it's tuned properly? If ground balance must be adjusted - then incorrect adjustment could cause such a problem.

Are you hitting "hot rocks" which give false signals to many detectors? Or black magnetic sand?

Is your sensitivity turned too high for the ground you are detecting? This gives falsing all over the place.

Is the area a junk filled park or iron filled homestead? Multiple targets under coil make it very difficult to correctly pinpoint any target. You can dig in the wrong place to china and not find a thing.

Most coins are in the 12" or less category. Many 6" or less deep. So you can take it from there. Few are finding coins at 16" or greater IMO.

Start out with a place that's not to trashy. And have a test plot in your back yard. Bury coins at various depths and mark with red golf tees or similar. Make far enough apart so you can properly pinpoint without multiple targets. Have one area where you have 3-4 coins close together - say 3-6" apart. Try pinpointing them. Put a nail next to a quarter. A pulltab next to a dime. Note how detector reacts in the lab (your test plot) and it'll be much easier out in the field.

I hope this gives you some ideas and helps! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread