How deep?

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Frigin wheatie....10+ inches.

However, just a few days ago I got a deep, deep awesome sounding signal and dug.....and dug....and dug. Old jar lid and my arm was in the hole about 2" down from my elbow!!!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1787 Connecticut copper-- a whopping 2 1/2 inches!

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was going along the lines of oldest before deepest, lol. I think the tree roots it was beside helped take it to the surface. I haven't found too many deep coins yet as my short detecting career was preempted by deployment. I will have my new 15" WOT coil waiting for me when I get home in September though. I expect I will find some much deeper goodies. In fact, all of my old coins have been found near the surface. Four IH's less than 3 inches, my colonial coin as stated above, and my 1819 LC at two inches. Oh wait, I did find a hole with three nickels in it that included a 1943 wartime nickel. That hole was about 8 inches. That was super-rich,black, loose soil. In those same woods I found a modern .22 round at about 15 inches. Gotta love that EXP II.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
An 1866 flying eagle cent good condition. 12" down

RD

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dunn1866 said:
A gold and diamond ring on the beach about 15 inches,had to dig it more then a few times due to constant water going in.Almost gave up.

RD

Sooooo, that was a gold and diamond ring COIN??? Never seen one, lol.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dunn1866 said:
Have to find one first.

No no, I was replying to the post that WAS where yours is now. They talked about finding a gold and diamond ring and I responded because the thread was about deep coins. Ignore my last post now, lol.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dunn1866 said:
An 1866 flying eagle cent good condition. 12" down

RD

Was it an 1856???!!!! Flying Eagle Cents weren't made in 1866. They were only made in 1856, 57, and 58. The 1856 is the rare one, and quite valuable! In the lowest grade, you're looking at a $6,000 coin.

Buckleboy

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Sorry long day, was in beach aand shallow section.

swingman

Feb 7, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab (2), Garrett (2), Whites (2)
Went over a hammered site with my older Sovereign, with the 15" WOT coil. Kept digging in powder-dry soil, and out came my only CT copper, in nice shape. It was lying flat at the bottom of the hole, at a real 12 inches.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1778 Reale. It was every bit of 10-12 inches. I use a XLT and got a constant VDI of 95. I have never seen a VDI of 95 that wasnt iron or some kind of big junk.. At that depth it sounded as big as a truck when pinpointed. I really thought it was going to be big rusted iron. But for you users of the XLT I got no readings on the negative side of the signal graph so I dug and dug and dug. I was in shock when I seen the site of silver deep in the hole. I guess from all those years of being in the ground it had a huge halo and thats why it pinpointed so big. I have used that machine for 10 years and never got a signal like that before. The coin was so thin you cant hardly see any detail. Good thing Buckleboy was there to ID it because I did not know what I had.

What was this coin doing in the middle of a park? Im not complaining just wondering!

Tom

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2
:( Wheatie in a school yard 12 inches. Been deeper but due to a plowed field.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
1778 Reale. It was every bit of 10-12 inches. I use a XLT and got a constant VDI of 95. I have never seen a VDI of 95 that wasnt iron or some kind of big junk.. At that depth it sounded as big as a truck when pinpointed. I really thought it was going to be big rusted iron. But for you users of the XLT I got no readings on the negative side of the signal graph so I dug and dug and dug. I was in shock when I seen the site of silver deep in the hole. I guess from all those years of being in the ground it had a huge halo and thats why it pinpointed so big. I have used that machine for 10 years and never got a signal like that before. The coin was so thin you cant hardly see any detail. Good thing Buckleboy was there to ID it because I did not know what I had.

What was this coin doing in the middle of a park? Im not complaining just wondering!

Tom

One HELL of a coin hunt that day! Congrats again on the best coin find of last year, KFB.

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread