How Did Miners Know Where to Dig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaHolmes

Greenie
Jul 22, 2023
Been doing some detecting around old placer mines lately. Wondering why/how miners chose to dig pits in some spots and not others. Sometimes a placer mine will only have 3-5 pits. Other times there are 20 or 30 scattered around. What signs did they look for that said "dig here?"

Obviously some pits and trenches are dug at the site of a gold bearing outcropping. But what about the pits scattered around the banks of a creek (for instance?) Did they just dig pits at random? Did they only dig where they happened to stumble across big ol nuggets on the surface? Did they do endless soil sampling/panning and dig wherever they found specks?

Just to clarify, I'm not asking about what would bring miners to a particular region (ie: geology, faults, panning samples, etc...) I'm asking what would cause them to dig any particular pit within the area of interest.

Cheers

Upvote 2

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a coal miner back in the late 70s and I do know that they used bore hole samples to determine where the coal was and how deep the seam was and quality of the coal. I'm really not exactly sure if they did it that way in the early 1900s but I am guessing they did.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You ARE on the internet. Why bother getting some strangers opinion and not do the research to find out the answers yourself. They are out there and just waiting for you to read.
A prospector might do all that you mentioned and more and maybe less based on the type of ore they are looking for, etc.
Xracer550's reply is correct. Don't shoot the messenger.

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here on my property Treasure Valley around and near the old Lookadoo Gold Mine in Western North Carolina where they mined at the end of 1800's to early 1900's there are holes about 5"-6" in diameter and today they are still about 3'-4' deep. Some are located around pits where they mined and others are in the woods where they didn't mine which leads me to believe that if they drilled and got good results that is where they dug the pits and mined and the ones in the woods where they didn't get good results they didn't dig.

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I misunderstood the original question and for some reason thought it was about coal mines..sorry about that

OP
OP
I

IndianaHolmes

Greenie
Jul 22, 2023
Here on my property Treasure Valley around and near the old Lookadoo Gold Mine in Western North Carolina where they mined at the end of 1800's to early 1900's there are holes about 5"-6" in diameter and today they are still about 3'-4' deep. Some are located around pits where they mined and others are in the woods where they didn't mine which leads me to believe that if they drilled and got good results that is where they dug the pits and mined and the ones in the woods where they didn't get good results they didn't dig.
Yeah that'd make sense. I didn't know they drilled for samples when it comes to placer mining.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello IndianaHolmes I have been a miner for long time load and placer. There is a few folks on here that will have decent info for you. So normally they looked for and old drainage from eons ago usually in the bend that's were the layers of sediment the gold got dropped out. Normally they would do a surface dig a foot or so down if small flakes were found down they would continue down. The locations I have been on I have seen the dig 60 foot from the drainage and 60 foot high up were ever they can find the high bench placer gravel they would dig down. I call them coyote holes I came across a fellow one time who had dug down to 20 feet into a gravel bench. He had a little trail for his wheel barrow along the edge to remove the gravel sometimes it like digging in concrete and some times it easy. I consider this practice highly dangerous and he was out there by himself. Be careful exploring these holes in the ground and be safe gold makes people do stupid things. Have fun out there and be safe.

OP
OP
I

IndianaHolmes

Greenie
Jul 22, 2023
Hello IndianaHolmes I have been a miner for long time load and placer. There is a few folks on here that will have decent info for you. So normally they looked for and old drainage from eons ago usually in the bend that's were the layers of sediment the gold got dropped out. Normally they would do a surface dig a foot or so down if small flakes were found down they would continue down. The locations I have been on I have seen the dig 60 foot from the drainage and 60 foot high up were ever they can find the high bench placer gravel they would dig down. I call them coyote holes I came across a fellow one time who had dug down to 20 feet into a gravel bench. He had a little trail for his wheel barrow along the edge to remove the gravel sometimes it like digging in concrete and some times it easy. I consider this practice highly dangerous and he was out there by himself. Be careful exploring these holes in the ground and be safe gold makes people do stupid things. Have fun out there and be safe.
Much appreciated!

And yeah digging or exploring pits and holes is pretty dicey. Some things that are relatively safe in groups become life threatening solo. Even just being alone in the wilderness is risky enough. One slip on a slick rock can be the end. Definitely best to play it safe.

Cheers

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
(What signs did they look for that said "dig here?)

they would be able to read the river/creek.
know how something very heavy like gold moves down stream
and where it settle out.

bigger rocks/boulders piling up and also the color of the rocks,
darker heavier vs lite and light.

also what does the black sand look like,
fine grains small gold.
coarse grain bigger gold, not always but most of the time.

there are other thing to look for dependent on if you are say in northern California
vs the desert.

OP
OP
I

IndianaHolmes

Greenie
Jul 22, 2023
(What signs did they look for that said "dig here?)

they would be able to read the river/creek.
know how something very heavy like gold moves down stream
and where it settle out.

bigger rocks/boulders piling up and also the color of the rocks,
darker heavier vs lite and light.

also what does the black sand look like,
fine grains small gold.
coarse grain bigger gold, not always but most of the time.

there are other thing to look for dependent on if you are say in northern California
vs the desert.
Yes, but these are more about finding gold in the river. I'm more wondering what the signs are for where to dig on land.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
(what the signs are for where to dig on land)
then you would be looking for rusty vuggy quartz
and shallow bedrock or other hard bedding like mudstone.
google (gold pocket hunting)

that's what works in my area.
your conditions could be very different.
what state are you hunting?
what detector are you using?

Last edited:

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i don't know much about north Carolina gold, other than there has been some good strikes.
the good news is you have a very good detector for shallow bedrock.
if its not shallow,
dig it down to about an an inch to bedrock.

also i doubt there are very many
nugget hunters there and that's a plus.
stick to shallow bedrock. if you can find bird shot you are on the right track.
post some gold when you get some.

OP
OP
I

IndianaHolmes

Greenie
Jul 22, 2023
i don't know much about north Carolina gold, other than there has been some good strikes.
the good news is you have a very good detector for shallow bedrock.
if its not shallow,
dig it down to about an an inch to bedrock.

also i doubt there are very many
nugget hunters there and that's a plus.
stick to shallow bedrock. if you can find bird shot you are on the right track.
post some gold when you get some.
Thanks! I suppose now the trick is to learn how to locate shallow bedrock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread