Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isn't an amazing find in terms of value, but it never ceases to amaze me how we find things that seem so out of place from where they originated or belong.
I was doing a bit of coin shooting at a local park here in small town northwest Arkansas and got a handful of clad, plust this:

front.jpg back.jpg

Makes you wonder how a coin goes over 8,000 miles and lands where I pulled this one. It's pretty cool looking, but when I first saw it I was hoping for an old US half dollar. Still an interesting find, I think. Thanks for looking & HH!

:skullflag: :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 30

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinucopia

Nov 24, 2017
SE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites MXT All Pro, Whites Treasuremaster, Fisher F5,
Multiple coil options
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing isn't it? I've found some oddities before that just left me scratching my head in bewilderment as to how it ended up there.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know what you mean... Once I thought I finally had a gold coin and it was a 100 peso coin from Mexico!

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Was there a hospital nearby where you found the coin? The United States has been bringing in foreign nurses I believe since the 1970‘s. Medical field loves cheaper labor. Arkansas got its share. Primary source country : Philippines

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there a hospital nearby where you found the coin? The United States has been bringing in foreign nurses I believe since the 1970‘s. Medical field loves cheaper labor. Arkansas got its share. Primary source country : Philippines

Interesting... actually it WAS near where an old hospital was for decades before being torn down a couple years ago. That's a definite possibility.

The back stories behind our finds are part of what we enjoy, isn't it? Wondering what happened when this coin or button or bullet or whatever was dropped where decades/centuries later we dug it out. Just fascinating to me to think about sometimes.

andygold

Mar 29, 2017
Northern NY, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800,
HF 9-Function md,
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find Javadroid! I posted here a while back....my wife received a Roman coin from the year 300 AD, as change during a purchase here in NY. It was a bronze, but close enough in size and color to be mistaken for a US penny. Like your Philippines coin, we wonder how the Roman got here, and even more so how it happened to be in circulation 1700 years after it was minted!!!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins travel. People love to bring home coins from places they visit. I've always wished I could know the story of their travels. Who carried it? When? Why were they there?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of US Navy vets, passed through PI. I still have some Philippines currency. A lot of guys married women over there, brought them back. That opened the door for all of her family members. The Philippines are ( or were ) a US protectorate, so they could enlist in our military, and gain citizenship, and here comes their relatives, and as Samanthy said, work visas.

People of Philippine descent are not as common in Arkansas, as along both coasts.

Cool find.

JamesRS

Apr 28, 2019
Vincennes Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug a pair of eyeglasses from my yard. Modern design, one lens in place, and found six inches deep. What, how???

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun to find foreign money here in the USA! Great find. Sub 8-)

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foreign coins is always fun for me...might be the only way Ill get em...:laughing7:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding foreign coins from places other than Canada. My F-I-L and I were hunting a park in RI and he found an Eisenhower dollar. Then I showed him the 5 pound Turks and Caicos coin that I found, it was bigger than the Ike. Just makes you wonder how big coins like those are dropped unnoticed.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coins arrive here from all over the world. Tourists from Europe and other places can bring them here. USA citizens who traveled abroad bring them home when they return from where they were visiting. I live relatively close to New London, Conn. which after WW2 had a large population of people from the Philippines because they were in the Navy or Coast Guard making it possible that quite a few coins from the Philippines are lost in that area. I've found coins from many foreign countries which helps to make my finds that much more interesting. Your coin is a nice find.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love finding foreign coins from places other than Canada. My F-I-L and I were hunting a park in RI and he found an Eisenhower dollar. Then I showed him the 5 pound Turks and Caicos coin that I found, it was bigger than the Ike. Just makes you wonder how big coins like those are dropped unnoticed.
Maybe those large sized coins went unnoticed because of too much beer ?:occasion14:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have lots of foreign boats travelling through the canal here. The kids would line up along the lock area and the workers on the boats would toss coins to them. You couldn’t use them here so they would just throw them away or lose them. Nice coin JD.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a cool find, but it does happen. I have found a coin from the Bahama's in spare change in Pennsylvania once. I guess folks use coins, whether they know what they are or not.

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice find. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions