πŸ₯‡ BANNER HOW did this survive 150 years in a Virginia Trench??!?

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thought these were all disolved to dust by now, but popped this one out of a Virginia Trench today Three ringer with full, intact pigskin powder bag. Still full of powder. Clean sand must've helped.

IMG_4140.JPG IMG_4141.JPG

Then a couple of feet away, I pull out a Maryland Cross Kepi pin! Digging buddy told me these were pretty rare. I can't find a dug one on the web. Anybody know just HOW rare? And were these worn by Union Maryland, or Confederate Maryland or both? Solder points for two attachment pins are present on the back.

IMG_4148.JPG IMG_4147.JPG

10 or 12 bullets and a couple more bullets-in-wood rounded out the day.

IMG_4144.JPG IMG_4145.JPG IMG_4146.jpg

I haven't posted in WEEKS because I wasn't finding anything worth sharing. But I'm stinkin' HAPPY today!

Upvote 54

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Sir, Guess what. I am casting my very first banner vote in your favor. I have been reading this forum for over a year now and never felt I had enough knowledge in the matter to cast a serious vote. Your finds are so incredibly special and rare, I feel I am duty-bound to make the call. Those are finds of a lifetime!
My very first banner vote was made!

Last edited:

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just awesome. I've yet to find any type of bullet, but an intact one like that, and over 12 more, in one day? Epic!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Think about it,its not as strange as you think.You want strange,heres strange.A TRex was found,one of the best specimens ever found.So well preserved in fact that bits of soft tissue was still found on it.Not shooting your find down by any means,just something for everybody to think about.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, THANKS everybody! Because of your very kind words - and especially your INTEREST . . . (That's what I like the most, when people appreciate the same things I do) whether it makes it to the banner or not, I'm just really tickled that you got as big a kick out of it, as I did. I have one other like this one, but the back had broken open and the powder had spilled out. The big difference between the two though? The other one was found by DAD in the 1960s!! Fifty more years having passed, I had no idea any were still left. To address some of your comments, yes, I have found a few more bullets in wood in recent months. I think the great preservation is due to good old Virginia SANDY soil. Everything drains so well. Especially trenches. With the BIW, my theory is that when the bullet hit the wood, it was HOT. I think it heated the sap and created a man-made "knot," if you will. All these recent BIW were out of trenches. I'm sure these were from felled trees piled on top of earthworks. The tree rotted away, and all that's left is the "man-made knot" with the bullet inside. Strangely, most of mine are in (if you can believe this) PINE! I think because pine knots are so full of turpentine I guess? You know how long pine knots survive . . .

About the Kepi pin . . . I'm going to post that separately, because Cannonball Guy (a resident expert on T-net about all things Civil War) wrote and said (quote)

"Yes, it is a civil war Maryland Calvert Bottony Cross pin, used by Confederate Maryland units.
Maryland Botonee Cross

Yes, it is VERY rare... because there were very few such units. One was the (CS) 4th Maryland Artillery. Your Maryland Cross pin is required uniform equipment for re-enactor members of that unit. As that unit's website says, it was worn on the jacket or kepi.
4th Maryland Light Artillery

Info regarding the Confederate usage of the Calvert bottony cross on the current Maryland state flag:
Maryland State Flag History
Flag of Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

Thank you sincerely for all the banner votes. That was really cool to hear!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still surprised the pin did not receive Banner - it is a rare find, 10Xs more than the bullet. I see bullets with the powder/skin dug about once or twice a year, which is rare. I have only see one of those dug pins ever - until now.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing Finds! Vote cast. Come on Banner!

VetStudent

Greenie
Aug 27, 2011
Rappahannock County, Virginia, CSA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Long time lurker- rare poster.....when I saw this image in the banner at the top of the page I instantly thought "Confederate Maryland relics!"

The cross botony is most certainly Confederate and would be valuable. I am a native of Maryland, with my great great grandfather having been a civilian blockade runner on the Chesapeake (for Richmond) during the War for Southern Independence- so I LOVE THIS ARTIFACT!!!

I keep an archive of eBay sales of Maryland confederate items on my computer at home and have never seen one come up for sale. I have seen war-era silk ribbons with the cross go for several hundred dollars. I will check a reference at home to see if I can find anymore info on this piece- but I do know that not many of any form of these crosses survived to present day.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i shall have to buy you the beer dang that is one heck of a save i thank you for sharing it with us

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw that it made Banner here. Congratulations on your rare confederate cross ! I love typing that word. "Confederate".

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is simply fantastic!

VetStudent

Greenie
Aug 27, 2011
Rappahannock County, Virginia, CSA
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
The book that I had with many illustrations did not depict a pin. In my files I have record of a cross bottony pin that was probably turn of the century that had an inscription commemorating Cold Harbor. It sold for $120 last February.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on banner! You came back in full force and style!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making a well deserved BANNER!!! :thumbsup:
AWESOME finds.
-MM-

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Parsonwalker, I suggest you submit your Confederate Maryland Cross pin photos (and story) to the North/South Trader Civil War magazine for inclusion in the next issue's "Field Recoveries" section. Tell Steve and Nancy (the magazine's Publisher and Editor) that Pete George sent you.

Have you researched the dig location's civil war history to find out which Maryland Confederate unit served at that spot?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's saving history right there! :occasion14:

Congrats on making the BANNER too!

Dave

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the BANNER !!!

Sweet finds to say the least !!!

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Parsonwalker, I suggest you submit your Confederate Maryland Cross pin photos (and story) to the North/South Trader Civil War magazine for inclusion in the next issue's "Field Recoveries" section. Tell Steve and Nancy (the magazine's Publisher and Editor) that Pete George sent you.

Have you researched the dig location's civil war history to find out which Maryland Confederate unit served at that spot?

Been unavailable the last few days, but when I saw the banner I was really excited. Thanks to the many of you who were pulling for this! It's been strange - I've been hunting the trenches almost exclusively in this area that's been pounded for decades, because I found that hunting really s-l-o-w-l-y I'm getting FEW signals, but what I'm finding has been great stuff. Since finding the cross, I went back to the same spot and pulled another bullet in wood, a gun screw, and intact unfired buck-and-ball load and two iron/tin buttons in the same hole. I'll post them soon. They are tin but two-piece. Domed with 4 indentations like perhaps a flower button. Right on top of the trench, but deep. Anyway, I'm grateful for the votes and the many kind words of encouragement.

CBGuy - Yes, research indicates the 1st Maryland infantry for sure, and one source says the 1st Maryland Cavalry was there, too. Turns out you know my digging partner pretty well. PM sent. I will indeed send the story and some pics to the North/South trader mag. Appreciate the ability do some "name dropping" (Yours!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread