How do I clean Bi-metal coins

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tumble bi-metal coins and get them clean or does the difference in the two metals make that impossible. I am taking a lot of my foreign coin finds and am going to make resin drink coasters out of them and give as gifts to people from those countries but in the condition they are straight from the dirt they are hard to see any detail, so I wanted to clean them up. Should I just dry tumble them in a medium and not use anything else? Will be leaving to go shopping so I won't be responding back until later . Thanks in advance for responses. Also what type of medium would be best?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess no one has ever cleaned or tumbled Bi-metal coins, thanks anyways.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wash them with dish soap and water to get the dirt and major grime off. Then use some Mother’s Mag & Aluminum polish with a buffing wheel bit on a Dremel. You should get those shinier than the day they were minted.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1602479391.308687.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1602479699.639033.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1602479711.648419.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1602479729.038367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1602479737.884946.jpg

Obviously these are common U.S. clad coins, but this method should work on foreign bi-metal coins as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do that with the coin rings I make, But I am talking 300+ coins and I don't want to clean them one at a time. If that's my only choice it will take me forever Thanks for the idea though.
I may have to hide a coin ring in a Fresno park and see if someone over there finds it.

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, yeah, that’s a lot of coins. And just let me know which park you hide it in and I’ll find it!

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What coins do you use for your rings? Post a pic or two of what you make if you don’t mind.

OP
OP
Back-of-the-boat

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What coins do you use for your rings? Post a pic or two of what you make if you don’t mind.

My computer is messed up I installed Windows 10 and it over rode windows 7 and my pictures go to 2 different spots and I can't upload pictures since except from my old pictures. I need to get it fixed. Mostly they have been out of clad quarters and Halves although I have done some out of Bi metal coins also. I'll see if I have any in my old picture folders.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread