How do I get a pocket watch open?

ICE ADDICT

Aug 15, 2007
Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series
Hello all,

I found a nice old Waltham pocket watch yesterday, and after doing some research realized I can not find out anything about it's value or manufacturing date without getting the back off, and seeing the serial # and other info.

From what I read, it says you get the back off by turning it counter-clockwise and in essence un- screwing it. Well as I'm sure you've realized I cant get it to budge. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with treasure hunted pocket watches, and if so, how did you get the back cover freed up????

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This may help:

How Do You Open The Back Of A Watch?
Most of the information crucial to identifying a particular pocket watch is inscribed on the watch movement [the "works"]. Different watches allow you to see the movement in different ways, however, and if you don't realize how your watch opens up you can damage it.

Pry Off -- On many watches the back cover simply pries open. Sometimes there is an inner "dust" cover which also pries open to expose the movement. Often, you will be able to see a hinge on the back, which indicates that the cover opens this way, but occasionally the cover will just pop off. You can usually pry off the cover with a thumbnail or a razor blade [I use the small blade on my Swiss army knife], but if you are having difficulty make sure that the cover really does pry off before you break something! If the cover does pry off, there will often be a small indentation or "lip" where the blade or thumbnail can be inserted, and if you can't find any sign of a lip, it may not be a pry off cover....

Screw Off -- Surprise! Some back covers simply screw off, a fact I learned after unsuccessfully trying to pry off the back cover on one of my first watches. If you can't pry the cover off, try unscrewing it in a counter clockwise direction.

Swing Out -- Some watches don't have a back cover, or else the back cover only exposes the inner dust cover and not the movement. These are usually swing out cases which open from the front. To open a swing out case, you need to first take off the front crystal [it's usually hinged and pries off or else needs to be unscrewed]. If it's a stem wind watch, you will then probably need to carefully pull on the winding stem until you hear a soft click. The movement should then swing out from the bottom, while remaining attached to the case via a hinge at the top. If it's a key wind watch, instead of pulling on the stem you will probably need to press in a tiny catch at the base of the dial near the 6.
Don.......
Source: http://barrygoldberg.net/watchinfo2.htm

OP
OP
I

ICE ADDICT

Aug 15, 2007
Cheektowaga New York
Detector(s) used
whites Spectrum XLT E-Series
Thanks Don,

This type of watch is a "screw off back". If you google" how to open a Waltham pocket watch" it explains the type of watch and how to go about it.

This watch is an "open face" model with NO flips or hinges involved, so I believe based on what I've read it is a type that has the counter clockwise un-screw type back on it. There are NO lips or areas that can be pried open. My problem is while the watch is in very good condition, and very possibly made of gold, it was manufactured in the VERY early 1900's at the latest, and has been in the ground for a LONG time, and while it has no real signs of corrosion, I can't get the back to budge. I was hoping someone else may have run into the same type situation and possibly had some type of remedy.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Some watches will have small indtations in the back where a special spanning tool fits. Once you place the tool in the notches it gives you the leverage to unscrew the back.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Ice:
How about taking it to your local jeweler and let him have a go at it?

I agree, with an antique watch that may be gold, why chance it?

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
GibH said:
Mackaydon said:
Ice:
How about taking it to your local jeweler and let him have a go at it?

I agree, with an antique watch that may be gold, why chance it?
I'm with these guys, especially if its valueable

Jeff

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad always said to use a bigger hammmer, but I don't recommend it in this case. Monty

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
If nothing else works, you could try putting it in the freezer. Shouldn't hurt anything, and the cold may shrink it enough to help break it loose.

stude

Nov 8, 2009
las cruces nm
For sure take it to a jeweler. They have a special tool to do this. It's like a suction cup. If it's a gold Waltham rr watch it is worth several hundred $s (in working condition).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread