What's new

I NEED HELP

Conito@55

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2024
Messages
1,204
Reaction score
6,116
Golden Thread
1
Location
Carson City Nv
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
The Legend
Xp Deus2
I need your opinion about this pocket watch back cover Do you think it's silver or aluminum? How can I find out?
20260118_120849.webp
20260118_120901.webp
20260118_120914.webp
 
It looks silver or could be nickel-silver, which is not an alloy of silver. I've never seen an aluminum pocket watch case. Though I do have a vintage wristwatch that has an aluminum case, which I believe that to be rare.
 
I’m betting silver, they don’t make watch covers out of aluminum 🤷🏼‍♂️ plus those number stamps mean something, quickly rubbing it on the palm of your hand and see how black your hand turns should tell you something. I don’t think aluminum turns your skin black… I’m not sure
 
I agree with Torrero...those stamps and numbers mean something. Looks
like silver to my eyes...very doubtful aluminum.
 
The "G P" or "G B" stamp in a partial oval is a Sponsor's Mark or Maker's Mark, identifying the company that manufactured or imported the case.
  • GP: This often refers to George Panton & Son, a prominent British tool and watch wholesaler that imported Swiss cases.
  • GB: This may refer to Gerl Beuche, a Swiss manufacturer, or George Bishop, another importer.
Having no actual assay stamp as a number, passant lion, or another if manufactured in another country it is more than likely a case that is German silver or something similar.
  • Nickel Silver / German Silver: This is a common material for "silver-looking" cases from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It contains no actual silver, but is an alloy of copper (around 60%), nickel (around 20%), and zinc (around 20%), prized for its durable, silvery-white appearance.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom