What's new

How do you all clean your pennies?

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
7,452
Reaction score
93
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chicago IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the hot peroxide method (microwave peroxide for 90seconds, then drop the coin in and repeat when the liquid gets cold), but everybodys wheats/ indians look a million time cleaner than mine.
I was thinking of getting a sonic cleaner, but I was told that it would take weeks for it to clean a coin.
 
Hi TF,

I always check the mint mark before I clean my wheats and if they are commom wheats then I use a brass brush. I also like to leave some dirt on them, it gives them character!! :icon_farao:

Check this out, good reading!! :thumbsup: http://www.hdwt.net/clean.html
 
Get a rock tumbler ($20 at Harbor freight) and get some aquarium gravel fill the tub halfway with the gravel then put enough cold water in to cover the rocks by 1/2 an inch then add vinegar and salt. Let it tumble for a few hours and you'll be amazed how clean they turn. I do all my clad that way but not anything valuable although it seems to not be very abrasive .
 
I use potatoes. Cut them into slices big enough for the penny to fit into and then leave them for a while. Check on them every few hours.

You can also use and SOS pad, they make them with Lemon now, as long as they aren't key dates or anything.
 
Thumbler's tumbler for all the common stuff. Until I find super wheatie they all go through the same tumbling. A little soap, some playground sand from the backyard and water. About 45 minutes a load and it's all good. Indians I use electrolysis, sonic cleaner, olive oil, all depends on the amount and type of crud on the coin.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom