How do you assess a new area

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello im looking into prospecting an area new to me. There known lode deposists NW and SE from this location. I have found numberous accounts of float being found in the area im interested in. The float is suppose to be a hematite reddish/black. I know boots on ground is the best research just looking for opinions before i travel this far back in. Closest road is well over 15 miles. Would you suspect the within the circle 2 be a mineralized zone? Thanks, Strebs

Capture+_2018-11-13-20-47-20.png

Close up of inner circle Capture+_2019-01-28-20-12-34.png

Outside of circle
Capture+_2019-01-28-20-14-48.png

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 30 mile round trip hike in that topography will be brutal...

Research past history, geologic maps and maybe look for fault lines.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am NOTHING...a speck of last years forest leaves compared to the guys on here in terms of knowledge, but I spent 3 years doing research with maps before I even ventured out into the woods. I want to say it is too good to be true to find such a promising spot the first time out, BUT it really is not. It took 3 years of studying bedrock maps, surface flows, aerial maps, LIDAR, and talking with geologists, surveyors and foresters. (Okay so the Soil Engineer of the NRCS laughed at me but the assay will tell). When I found such a promising spot, there was a lot that went into it before I went looking for it.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think the assay would have to be exceptional to justify 15 miles of hiking. The logistics of mining equipment and access are a big factor in any operation. Youth has its advantages.

pczim

Jan 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pain no gain I guess. 15 miles though is no joke. Especially carrying the samples back out for assay!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have a horse?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I retire I'm gonna get a couple of these a mean ass dog, and firepower, so I can disappear for a while. Maybe in 2021 when I start receiving a pension from a previous employer I'll put my plan in place ?

Attachments

• Pack-goats_at.jpg
    Pack-goats_at.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 86

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use mules and set up a base camp if I had a notion that my prospect was worth the bother. I have not had a horse that didn't hate for me to ride them yet. I think that it is cost efficient if dirt bikes or atvs can't be used. Hard core 49'ers I say.

AnnaMountain

Dec 10, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bring a big hammer, do a bit of the work on foot...start cracking at some of the outcropping. If you find something like the below, go back and get the ATV or the horse. :)

527286B0-65F7-4C66-B04F-A32A19A0FA2F.jpeg

771058B2-E908-441E-A3D6-D98EDAD8D9A9.jpeg

A1CE277B-E4D0-4855-86B6-F2BDA455D627.jpeg

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I retire I'm gonna get a couple of these a mean ass dog, and firepower, so I can disappear for a while. Maybe in 2021 when I start receiving a pension from a previous employer I'll put my plan in place ?

We've been looking into this. Way easier to pack around the country with and cheaper then a string of horses. We picked up a late model RV, a few minor replacements, and we'll get a bunch of goats to kid out. Then after a bit of meat and the learning curve into goat packing,maybe we'll get out and make some cheese..

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure a horse has the stamina and a mule is more sure-footed, but goats would be idea for low backs and they evolved out of mountainous terrains. They also can be refueled easily, unlike a noisy ATV which requires maintenance and spare parts to keep it moving.

Attachments

• a5815b1e2fda8b21fae4e5ce2a608dbd.jpg
    a5815b1e2fda8b21fae4e5ce2a608dbd.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20190206_073145.jpg
    IMG_20190206_073145.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 81

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those mountain goats would be awesome! How they travel terrain is amazing! I wonder how difficult it would be to break and train one for pack mule-ing?
I'm half seriously thinking about getting a few burrows to raise and train for this purpose...hmm
I know one guy who is currently using burrows to lug out loads from a jasper deposit and a few others who run burro races with them.

MrHF

Jan 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Figure 5-6 years for something broke. But that entails alot.. Youd have to get some brood, kid them out, teach the kids to pack, then breed them and kid them out, then keep milking the doe/s that you taught to pack.. Then you have the milk and a broke pack animal/s. Its always better to have two goats,or if only one they wont leave you alone... Meat, milk, and pack animals :)

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think a person would be better off with an ATV. I have had a donkey on this farm and it ended up being nasty (attacking sheep) and had one mean kick, and a louder bray. Being a sheep farmer...I know what it takes to raise sheep/goats and that is not easy.

I think there is a reason why farmers went from horses to tractors, and why prospectors went from donkeys to ATV's.

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goats eat anything even stuff they are not suppose to. My buddy hade mules but he died before I got to see him work them. If there isn't any water for animals atvs are best

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those mountain goats would be awesome! How they travel terrain is amazing! I wonder how difficult it would be to break and train one for pack mule-ing?
I'm half seriously thinking about getting a few burrows to raise and train for this purpose...hmm
I know one guy who is currently using burrows to lug out loads from a jasper deposit and a few others who run burro races with them.
They've held an annual burro race for many years now in Leadville Colorado. Probably getting close to 80 years or more they had that event now.

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hehe, They are still running strong, it is interesting. I live in Leadville. Might graze some burrows on one of our claims to get the feel for them, though it seems to be alot of work...

Atv's or jeeps are totally preferable but there are instances where they simply are not an option and/or are illegal.

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello thanks everyone for the input. I did end up getting some geological maps that show fault lines with spots i got saved on google earth so im very hopeful. Looking at march timeframe for a trip out been gettin in shape! I thought about pack animals but i dont have the room at my home. I wonder how it works with blm/forest service grazing permits. Thanks again,
Strebs

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions