How do you clean 142 years of Crud off A Silver Doller

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, Red! I haven't seen any of your posts recently and was wondering how you both were doing. Nice to see you were out there hunting and hit the big one. I would give it an overnight soak in lemon juice.

Susan

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, Red! I haven't seen any of your posts recently and was wondering how you both were doing. Nice to see you were out there hunting and hit the big one. I would give it an overnight soak in lemon juice.

Susan

Put in Peroxide last Night Today A Little Olive Oil To Loosen the Crud Will the Lemon Juice Acid Damage the Coin????

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Chug and Red...I am sorry to say but it is hard to recommend what is needed to possibly clean the coin up without knowing in what condition it is in! Hydrogen Peroxide, Lemon Juice and Vinegar if not used carefully, can pit Silver, Copper and Bronze coins. It is somewhat easy to remove bad/ugly toning on Silver coins (which should only be done to uncirculated Silver coins) but much harder to remove tough dirt, grime and encrustations from them without doing damage. If the coin is well circulated, my advice would be to bathe the coin in Acetone for 5 minutes, rinse with water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel and then place the coin in Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a week up to a month or more. The Extra Virgin Olive Oil should help loosen some or all of the dirt, grime and encrustations from the coin. Remove once a week and with the coin still covered in the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, lightly rub it with a soft fingertip to see if any or all of the dirt, grime and encrustations is removable. If so, keep lightly rubbing the coin but ensure to dip it into the Extra Virgin Olive Oil ever so often to keep the surface lubricated but also to wash/rinse what is removed away. Once the coin is as good as it is going to get clean-wise, rinse with water, lightly wash in warm dish washing soap and water, rinse again with water, pat dry (do not rub) between the folds of a soft towel, air dry for awhile, then place the coin in a 2x2 coin protector.

Good luck!

Frank

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
142 years old would be an 1873 seated dollar or trade dollar, there aren't many of those found, be careful cleaning it not to do any damage!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
142 years old would be an 1873 seated dollar or trade dollar, there aren't many of those found, be careful cleaning it not to do any damage!

Fully agree- id take it to a professional or not clean it at all

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the "professional" going to use to clean it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread