What's new

How do you dump?

skelly9131

Full Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
124
Reaction score
9
Golden Thread
0
Hi, I just went through my first 2 boxes of halfs (2 skunks >:(). So, I was wondering how you normally do the dump. When I opened the rolls I just put the coins back in the boxes, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to carry them back into the bank that way. I have a CU that has a free Coinstar, but still I don't want to raise any eyebrows.

For those of you that do multiple boxes, how do you transport so many coins back to your dump bank? Any hints on how to dump and raise the least amount of suspicion or interest of the bank employees?

I'm also curious how you deal with carrying such a large weight of coins. Do you make multiple trips back and forth to your car?
 
Upvote 0
I use the black walmart grocery bags. They hold $500 of halves easy and the weight is not too much. If they ask I tell them I coin collect and I'm looking for ones for my collection. If they ask if I'm looking for silver I say yes. I don't offer a lot of information but I don't lie when asked either.
 
I use a two pound plastic Maxwell House Coffee can. Easily holds $500.00 in halves. I bring them in two at a time.
 
Canvas bank bags, although be careful as they will tip over and spill throughout your car!
 
I used to use a small 3 gallon bucket and waddle that into the CU.

I learned very quickly that the absolute most I could (uncomfortably) carry in that way was around 2000 halves, and preferably no more than 1500.

This method does raise eyebrows however so some sort of canvas bag might be a better idea.
 
joad said:
Canvas bank bags, although be careful as they will tip over and spill throughout your car!

I agree, I use a canvas bag. Fill it up with 700 to 900 in coins and carry it in tucked under my arm. And yes, they will spill in your car, and its a pain in the arse to pick them all up.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
joad said:
Canvas bank bags, although be careful as they will tip over and spill throughout your car!

I agree, I use a canvas bag. Fill it up with 700 to 900 in coins and carry it in tucked under my arm. And yes, they will spill in your car, and its a pain in the arse to pick them all up.

I set my bags of coins in a plastic tub I keep in the trunk. If any spill it's easy to clean up.
 
Do any of you count all those thousands of coins before bringing them in, or do you just trust the bank to get it right? Personally, it annoys me when instead of counting them they just weigh each denomination and credit you that way.
 
EpsilonMinus said:
Do any of you count all those thousands of coins before bringing them in, or do you just trust the bank to get it right? Personally, it annoys me when instead of counting them they just weigh each denomination and credit you that way.

I assume the box or rolls I do are correct and just minus what I keep from total. but if doing loose don't count, just assume machine works good.

I use my old small garbage pail, it holds 1k comfortably
 
but I'm thinking it wouldn't be a good idea to carry them back into the bank that way.
if your talking about the same bank you got them from DON"T DO IT. you may either piss them off or you may find your own dumps when you go to get more. i assume your a newbie here by the number of your posts, so you may want to check out the following threads:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209655.0.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,258887.0.html
and of course this thread could help with many questions you may have:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,54523.0.html
 
Bank supplied plastic coin bags - $1K each.

I asked for "some" bags initially, she pulled out an entire box and dropped the "F" bomb (fee).
When I told her I just needed 1 to replace the one I dropped off, she just handed it to me - no issues.
 
joad said:
Canvas bank bags, although be careful as they will tip over and spill throughout your car!

A good rubber band at the top takes care of that problem (usually).




I usually limit my dumps to what I can carry in to the bank on one trip from my car which is usually 2 canvas bags full.

With each canvas bag containing one of the following values:
$1000 in halves, quarters, or dimes
$200 in nickels (sometimes $300)
$100 in pennies

Sometimes I split the bags out such that I have more bags but an equal dollar value. For example, in one hand I might carry in 2 - $50 bags of pennies and in the other 2 - $500 bags of dimes. I have found those are approximately my weight limit.

Once in awhile I will make two trips to the car, and a couple times a year I get so backed up (particularly with pennies), I have to take many trips to complete the dump.

But I always use canvas bags. I like the larger bags as some of the smaller ones just aren't comfortable to carry when I have the amounts listed above in them.
 
if your talking about the same bank you got them from DON"T DO IT
I was not referring to returning dumps to the same bank I got them from. I am a newbie, but I have done my research and am fully aware that this would be taboo!

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like canvas bank bags are the way to go.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom