austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk to a good jeweler. Sorry the website sucked. Just look up California jade on google.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2012
PNW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.jsbste.tripod.com. Talk to a good jeweler.

your link 404'd

custom, i have been finding quite a bit of jade here in the PNW so i aswell was wondering the same thing.

I read somewhere higher quality jade resonates sound better so that may be a good indicator unless shape and size play factors in the resonation.

also, i may have read somewhere that the lighter color the jade the higher the quality. But then again jade comes in many colors and shades so... :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Search up a gemmologist or get a book which does help; colour and clarity come to mind.
Origin might also have a word with, I would speculate.

Upvote 0

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
There's more than one kind of jade, and there are minerals which are easily confused with jade by an amateur.

That having been said, there are known jade locations in California (particularly along the central coast), and if the specimen you collected was from one of those known locations, that's a promising sign that the stuff is really jade.

It won't be necessary to cut and polish it to identify it as jade, other tests by a knowledgeable mineralogist on the natural specimen will suffice. Regarding value, that's a trickier question. Jade does have some value but it's not a precious gemstone, the stuff occasionally occurs in boulder-sized pieces weighing hundreds of pounds.

--Dave J.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread