What's new

how do you guys do it?

mistergee

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Messages
3,370
Reaction score
40
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pennsylvania
get large amounts of coins i mean?..not halfs either, i know you guys order them....i'm talkin about a box of pennies or dimes.i read about you guys going on road trips and picking up boxes and bags of coins....$200 in pennies from 1 bank....$1000 in dimes at another...bags of nickles...what the heck is wrong with me? i hunt in Philly with literally hundreds of banks and you'd think i was robbing the place when i ask for a box of anything. all i get is "do you have a business account?".. :angry4:..we don't carry that much....would you like $5.00 worth? :BangHead:like today....i wanted 1 box of pennies.....1 freakin $25 dollar box...you'd think i was asking for the holy grail or something. 1st 2 banks "do you have a business account ?" 3rd bank " we don't give out that much....i can give you $5 worth...4th bank..."i don't have a full box let me see if the other tellers have any." turns out she was 4 rolls short of a full box and the other teller topped it off. good thing she did as they were the only rolls that produced. 2 late date wheats and 1 clad dime...all the rest were full rolls of mint condition 2005 pennies....i kept a few rolls in case they might be worth anything in the future....should i just dump 'em all or are they worth anything now?
oh BTW when the teller was handing me the box she says "this is just a courtesy...we usually don't give out this much coin without a busness account" :BangHead: :BangHead: and this was from a bank where my wife's best friend is the manager.....and the tellers know it...maybe the only reason i got them. so do you guys call ahead and see what they have? do you have an account in the banks you get large amounts of coin from or a business account? i can't believe how come i'm having such a hard time getting a box of something :icon_scratch:
oh yeah i searched $160 in dimes(had to go to 3 banks).....skunk
 
Upvote 0
I haven't really had that much trouble, oh every now and then I get the "do you have an account" question, but not often.
 
they hand them over no problem to me, boxes of anything I want, usually they don't have a full box of halfs but with quarters, nickels, dim,es or pennies, they just go grab one, plop it on the counter and I hand them, the money
 
If I told you......... well, you know the rest. You are asking people to give you their hard-earned secrets for free. Time to pay your dues and see what works for you. The best answer I can give is "Just Do It" and good luck. In my opinion, most everything about this hobby/addiction is random and lightening rarely strikes the same place twice.
 
Right 50centman! Yea, I've read that some folks on here do actually have several accounts with different bank branches.....I think, and with my own experience thus far its just a lot of legwork getting what you can from bank to bank to bank.....

and remember with CRH....

It's a numbers game, both figuratively and literally!
 
Hard earned secrets...time to pay dues... You guys are crazy. This isn't a competition, we are all doing the same thing. Why can't people ask and get help when it is needed? Military preaches selfless-service and loyalty and there are some on here that bring the above mentioned garbage. Ridiculous.

Mistergee, the banks I've been to recently and asked for boxes of dimes and pennies tell me that I need to order them ahead of time. As for your tellers, I haven't yet been asked if I have an account. I usually go in and say how many (denominations) can I get? They ask how much I want and I reply as much as you're willing to give me? I can usually get a hodge-podged box of hand rolled dimes at most of my bank stops. Hope that helps and if worst comes to worst, open a side account at a bank chain in your area with the minimum balance required. Then you won't have the account question. Remember persistence!

Good luck.

Dan
 
You have to develop a relationship with a teller or tellers at your banks. Most of the people on this forum have been doing this for a while and their tellers know them by name. Don't expect to read stories on here about someone picking up 10 boxes of halves and then be able to walk into any bank and do it yourself. It will come in time. You just need to make small pickups here and there and work your way up to ordering boxes, then ordering several boxes at a time.

-Codes
 
scavenger said:
they hand them over no problem to me, boxes of anything I want, usually they don't have a full box of halfs but with quarters, nickels, dim,es or pennies, they just go grab one, plop it on the counter and I hand them, the money

I live literally 2 block from a (for lack of better terms) hub bank. They always have tons of boxes on hand. I have got something like 15 dime boxes in 3 days and they didn't say anything negative. Other banks that I go to have told me in the past that they are running low and can only give me X amount of boxes. Just go around to your banks and feel them out. If you need to, ask if you order the boxes if they will give them to you. Then order 10 boxes of pennies, dimes, quarters, halfs. :thumbsup:
 
In some areas there is much competition, many people who CRH have never heard of T-Net, want to beat you to the punch....only so many banks...best bet is to keep trying to place an order for boxes, there shouldn't be that much trouble.
 
you need to get accounts at banks, that helps a lot, find banks that offer free checking, and deposit 25 bucks. Once your a customer, they are much more willing to help
 
I think it's up to the bank and if they have the extras or not. Having an account and them knowing you helps, I'm sure :icon_sunny:
 
If they don't have enough rolls or boxes to give you any you could see if they are willing to sell you filled bags off their counting machines.
 
I've got a lot of banks where I'm at also. Only been in a small percentage so far. I opened an account at one bank, strictly for CRH. Pick up boxes, no questions asked at one branch, and do all my dumping at another branch in the next town over. Other banks have asked if I've had an account, and when I say no, they still give me what I asked for. I usually do smaller pickups at several banks instead of asking for boxes at one.
 
I live near a small town with 6 banks. Most banks here don't carry much change to sell in boxes, and when they do a lot of them are new or like new fed rolls.

So get the odd rolls, when grandma rolls her change and brings it in, sometimes you score there.

Or develop a good relationship with tellers and the one who orders the coin at a particular bank, and have her order you bags or boxes. And make sure to bring them candy, a box of nice donuts, show you appreciate them for doing this for you. The one and only bank here that can (or will) order me bags of halves, they get the royal treatment from me, and they always hook me up good. :thumbsup:
 
Last week when I got my Nickels and Pennies, they gave me what I asked for. The teller that waited on me said that the boxes they have are usually save for the businesses.
~Audiz~
 
Since I work at a Bank I can even order a box of halves and just buy $50 or $30 per day.

I am also ok with just asking for at most $100-$150 in Halves,

Of course I will not get the returns of 14 halves like many here but I am ok with it.

Ask for less if you are having problems
 
Develop a relationship with head tellers and order the coins.
Open accounts and tell them what you are doing as a condition for opening the account -(no fees!), and have them note that on your account.
The other conditon is that you are going to dump coins also no fees.
If they say no- tell them "OK, I'll just walk across the street and let them have my business".
You will never be turned down if you make a small deposit and ask for coins at that point - they will read the note on your account and oblige.
Donuts & candy also go a long way.
You should also ask if they have an excess of any denomination they would like to sell.
Most tellers hate halves and Ikes because they have to count them every day and can't get rid of them- do them a favor. :wink:
 
Mistergee is 100% correct. I guess it is a PA thingy. I've been doing mini-road trips the last week or so with the same results.......ask for a box of nickels, dimes, or pennies and you get a look worse than if you had asked the tellers to go out to your car and have sex. You want what???? Who..what..eh,,er,ah, ::),a WHOLE box? We cant give you THAT many....Do you have an account here??? Dont even say the word bag. A bag of what....you want what ???? A bag of nickels.......er..... a nickel bag....Gee....We dont any.. :icon_pale: I'm thankful that at 1 out of 4-5 banks the tellers are nice.
 
50centman..i don't know what you mean by dues....around here we help each other...whether we know each other or not..of course it is a volunteer thing so if you don't want to divulge your "hard earned secrets" then by all means keep them to yourself..as far as seeing what works, i've been in many many banks, have spoken to many many tellers, and do know quite a few by name. it just seemed to me that people are walking into random banks on road trips and are getting loads of coin no problem. here i have more banks than you can shake a stick at and i can't even scrounge out a measly box of pennies. this seemed strange to me so i asked the question.....i do agree about it being random....some days you go and they have nothing and other days they have rolls of silver

Hard earned secrets...time to pay dues... You guys are crazy. This isn't a competition, we are all doing the same thing. Why can't people ask and get help when it is needed? Military preaches selfless-service and loyalty and there are some on here that bring the above mentioned garbage. Ridiculous.

Mistergee, the banks I've been to recently and asked for boxes of dimes and pennies tell me that I need to order them ahead of time. As for your tellers, I haven't yet been asked if I have an account. I usually go in and say how many (denominations) can I get? They ask how much I want and I reply as much as you're willing to give me? I can usually get a hodge-podged box of hand rolled dimes at most of my bank stops. Hope that helps and if worst comes to worst, open a side account at a bank chain in your area with the minimum balance required. Then you won't have the account question. Remember persistence!

thanks for the help Dan...and it is precisely that selfless-service and loyalty that makes t-net the great place that it is
on the matter of accounts....they weren't asking if i had an account....they were asking if i had a "business" account.... as if to say thier coins are only for the local businesses...like i have no reason to ask for large amounts of coin because i don't own a business....and they always look at me strange and ask "what are you going to do with them?" or "what are you doing ...playing cards?"...like i need a reason....once i got fed up and just said " i work for the schools and we need them for our penny bazaar"...all of a sudden they had some to give me :icon_scratch:
You have to develop a relationship with a teller or tellers at your banks. Most of the people on this forum have been doing this for a while and their tellers know them by name. Don't expect to read stories on here about someone picking up 10 boxes of halves and then be able to walk into any bank and do it yourself.

i do have a relationship with many tellers and i have several accounts with dfferent banks...as i stated my wife's best friend is the manager at the bank i got the pennies from and her sister (also a good friend) was behind me in line...another bank ...my best friends wife is the business teller and even she has to scrounge up coin for me....you would think a big city bank would keep loads of coin on hand for all the businesses in the area...i just can't figure it out....as far as halfs...alot of banks don't carry them as they are not used much so i never expect to find any more than a box at any bank....i know if i want more i have to order.....but you would think the other denominations would be readily available

I live literally 2 block from a (for lack of better terms) hub bank. They always have tons of boxes on hand. I have got something like 15 dime boxes in 3 days and they didn't say anything negative. Other banks that I go to have told me in the past that they are running low and can only give me X amount of boxes.

i have run across these hub banks...they supply the other branches in the area....my problem is i'm never in the same place and most of the time the hub banks and the banks i have accounts at are not close by....so if i want to search during my lunch i have to go with whatever banks are in close proximity....you would think that with 6 or 7 banks in an area one would have a box of pennies,dimes, or nickles
If they don't have enough rolls or boxes to give you any you could see if they are willing to sell you filled bags off their counting machines

thats another thing...there is at least one bank with a counter out of every 5 banks or so.....not one i have asked will sell bags off thier counter....they all say " we send them out to be counted".....no one else seems to have this problem
Since I work at a Bank I can even order a box of halves and just buy $50 or $30 per day.

I am also ok with just asking for at most $100-$150 in Halves,

i actually have a bank around my home who orders a box and lets me do the same thing...as soon as i take thier last they have another on order....the funny thing is i don't have an account there and they don't have anyone else who asks for them

I usually do smaller pickups at several banks instead of asking for boxes at one.
that is what i have resorted to lately...$25 here $50 there...i just would like to pick up a box of something ,go through it and dump it at lunch and pick up another for something to do that evening

Open accounts and tell them what you are doing as a condition for opening the account -(no fees!), and have them note that on your account.
The other conditon is that you are going to dump coins also no fees.
If they say no- tell them "OK, I'll just walk across the street and let them have my business".

that is a good idea Tim on noting the account....but as far as going across the street....i don't think they would care as all your doing is circulating coins....thier not making a profit unless there are fees
BTW everyone mentions gifting the tellers...which i do for the ones i live near and have accounts with....the others wouldn't remember me as there are so many banks its at least a month before i get around to them again and i usually wind up with someone else....that plus i wouldn't remember who belonged to what bank after a month or so and 50 banks later

Mistergee is 100% correct. I guess it is a PA thingy. I've been doing mini-road trips the last week or so with the same results.......ask for a box of nickels, dimes, or pennies and you get a look worse than if you had asked the tellers to go out to your car and have sex. You want what? Who..what..eh,,er,ah, ,a WHOLE box? We cant give you THAT many....Do you have an account here??? Dont even say the word bag. A bag of what....you want what ? A bag of nickels.......er..... a nickel bag....Gee....We dont any.. I'm thankful that at 1 out of 4-5 banks the tellers are nice.

thank you Terry...this is exactly what i was looking for...you described my dilemma to a tee....i was beginning to think it was me ;D....by reading everyone elses posts and the ammount of coins they pull from road trips going from small town to small town...you would think it would be a breeze to get all you want from the 5th largest city in the country....do you guys in NY or SF have the same problem?....is it a big city thing or like Terry states "its a PA thingy"

thanks for the replies guys (and gals)
 
Mistergee.....

I am not living in PA but every time I visit Philly, I get a box or two of pennies to go through. Most time I was asked if I had an account. Branches in the downtown area usually do not carry too many boxes by my experience. Even though the FRB is right down the street.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom