KirkS
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Jan 10, 2017
- Messages
- 284
- Reaction score
- 375
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- St Pete FL
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
I'm a metal detectorist, not an artifact guy, and I was wondering how you artifact guys find your stuff? Are you just walking around in known/suspected Indian sites, looking for anything that would have been used or made by the American Indians? Are you digging in these areas?
To me, it's like coin hunting without a metal detector. We know there are coins/relics in almost every yard in America/the world, so we could just start digging and poking around without a detector, and eventually find something. From what I can tell, that's what you artifact hunters do, but there has to be more to it.
So from someone who really only even gave Indian artifacts a second thought because of this forum, how in the world do you guys find your stuff? And kudos to you for doing it!
To me, it's like coin hunting without a metal detector. We know there are coins/relics in almost every yard in America/the world, so we could just start digging and poking around without a detector, and eventually find something. From what I can tell, that's what you artifact hunters do, but there has to be more to it.
So from someone who really only even gave Indian artifacts a second thought because of this forum, how in the world do you guys find your stuff? And kudos to you for doing it!
Upvote
0

you will be successful. The #1 rule and most important I feel is learning from more experienced hunters. I feel their knowledge is undervalued a lot of the time because there's no DR. Title Before their name. That's a big mistake since many guys and girls are called upon by Archie's to help evaluate sites and finds. Having a mentor will take years off of doing it yourself.






