What's new

How do you keep track all your must hunt sites?

Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
364
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

Hi all...!

New to the forum and sport and narrowing down a gear purchase.

In the meantime, I've jotted down a list of 'must hunts' in my reasonable geographic reach (no more than 15 miles - most very close).

But that list is just that....a list.

Is there any simple MD software to track these sites? I'd like to put tags with each site....i.e. Owner's name (if known), Photos of the site (is that creepy?), notes, etc... And then after it is hunted, I'd like to keep a tally of the take.

Is that unusually detailed? I've got a list of about 35 sites and growing (I'm in the mountains of North East Pennsylvania just outside Scranton)


How do YOU keep track?

Thanks!
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

One of the Kellyco free bee's use to be a log book, but in this day and age it would'nt be hard to whip up your own on the computer. Hit the copy machine, add the slide in plastic page holders and a 3 ring binder "poof" your very own treasure maps.
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

Back in 1999 I got Topo USA SouthEast Regional Maps. Did not cost much and I could hook up my GPS to track finds when I got home.
If I see an area I want to hunt I just pull up the lat. long. and mark the site as civil war,home place ect..

You just save and get back to it when you can. If I hunt it and find relics in the field I take GPS locations of the spots/area... after several trips and hunting diff. locations on the property you will notice a trind of were the relics are being found. You can actually see the front lines of that site per say or the location most of the activity took place. all can be saved for future use.

I'll send ya some of the maps I've made to show you how it looks

Hope this helps.
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

I dont have too elaborate of a scheme when it comes to marking places to hunt. I havent really sat down to go over all of the places that i have been to try and notice trends or anything. All i do is during the winter when i cant hunt i drive around and scope out places that have researched and mark them as waypoints in my GPS for quick reference once the snow melts. I guess its not too bad of an idea to keep track of what you find, where. I have a pretty good memory so if i find anything really nice im darn sure gonna remember where it was.
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

Being a finance guy I just put together a really simple Excel spreadsheet that covers the basics such as location, description of property, who to contact, phone number, etc.
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

Sorry the photo is so bad but best i could do for now.

i guess some don't understand why you would go through so much trouble but to me thats part of the fun of it. use whats best for you as long as it works.

on the map i put grid and what it is, on the bottom after i find out i'll put the owner and phone # ect.

t22.jpg
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

davidtn said:
Being a finance guy I just put together a really simple Excel spreadsheet that covers the basics such as location, description of property, who to contact, phone number, etc.

Yup.....

Dave, that's sorta what I was thinking.
A main worksheet with all the locations in a list with embedded macro buttons to take me to pics of the the site.

Thanks!
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

I keep a folder with maps, details, age, probable location etc. I also keep about 90% in my head, know it inside out. :D
 
Re: How do you keep track all your 'must hunt' sites?

Something else you can do.....

Download Google Earth and use the tools to mark your sites. It's very easy to use and learn.

You zoom in on an area and put a pin to mark an area and it stores it in "My Places". Every time you reopen Google Earth, they they are. :thumbsup:

I got a lot of push pins in my version.....plus you can add all the descriptions in the box that opens when you click on a pin.

Al
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom