Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bragged about TNet and this forum to every one I know. The people's experience and knowledge seem unlimited. I have told our historical society that I could find the answer to their problem. So I am ether going to eat my words about this forum or show them I am right about our TNetters.
Here are the problems. I posted about a lead printing plate that was found. The problem we have is the discovery of actual news papers printed in 1880's. They are crumbling and we need to figure out how to preserve them. How or who do we contact to help us? These papers run from 1886 to 1928. Just picking up the papers to fast will make them fall apart. What do we do? Help!!!
Burdie

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read this

Conservation
The conservation lab provides preservation techniques to care for original state historic documents, books, and photographs. Staff members work with various techniques, which include stabilization, surface cleaning, deacidification, mending, encapsulation, and appropriate formats of archival acid-free storage, that prolong the life span of our historic state records and manuscripts. The staff is available to answer questions and recommend the best way to preserve historic and family records.

http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/preservation/index.htm

IF they are Not too far gone already it looks like Pros will be needed

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
It may be wise to have them microfiched and probably cheaper.That is,if your library or newspaper has a microfiche reader to look at them once they are transformed.I really don't know what I'm talking about,but anyway,could they be photographed?Bet you're glad I got into this thread.JeffPA probably has the right answer?

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been dealing a lot lately with old documents (some newspapers also) if you can handle them gently and slowly without tearing them Gaylord's library supplies has all kinds, shapes and sizes of sleeves and archival products (don't forget your cotton gloves).
http://www.gaylordmart.com/lobby_gaylordmart.asp?

For the papers that were too fragile, I discovered that you can take a melinex sleeve and (using a razor) cut it so it hinges on only the long side, there is some static created when you open it, and for newspaper clippings (that were too fragile to move...also not sure if this would work on full sheet, but I don't see why not) they would stick to the sleeve and I could then fold it shut and place it inside a second, slightly larger sleeve.

But I would definitely suggest a professional if you can afford it ;) and careful with any copying, photographing, bright light, etc., they can fade quickly if exposed to enough light

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread