How do you protect yourself when woods hunting?

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question guys and gals...

I'm going to start getting more into the hunting of woods sites here in NJ. Cellar holes, old trails, etc. I'm not normally one to go alone into the woods by myself, so, will probably be bringing along a hunting buddy or two of mine. Question is...

How do all of you protect yourself when out detecting in the deep woods? You know, from bears, snakes, loonies walking around in the sticks, ticks, etc. Any advice to a newb woods hunter is greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, do most of you prefer to hunt in the Spring and Fall when the vegetation dies down or do ya'll just "brave it" all year long?

Finally, any strange or scary situations that has happened to any of you while out in the woods seems like a good topic post. So, fire away!!!

Upvote 0

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
gleaner1 said:
Fire away! Yeah!!! Can you imagine coming home from the woods on any given Sunday or whatever day knowing you just had to shoot and kill some nut bag because you encountered him in the woods and you needed to protect yourself because he attacked you with a knife or gun or baseball bat or stick or whatever, so you shot his dumb ass and are now heading "downtown" to offer your rendition of the whole thing to the police, and then see the story on the news with your name blasting across the headlines that you had protected yourself in the woods. I choose to stay home, thanks.

That would be bad for sure, to be forced to take the life of another human being, even in defence of your own.
That said, if you do choose to stay at home because of what might happen (not saying staying home is a bad idea, it's just not my choice) then you also choose to surrender a part of
of the freedom that we have. Then what happens when the street corner nearest your house becomes unsafe? You can then choose to go another way to work, the store or whatever, sure..
until the next corner along your way becomes too dangerous. My point is that there are dangers and dangerous people everywhere and while common sense dictates that some places are totally off limits, I just can't see allowing someone else (the nutjob criminals, in this case) decide where I go and what I do. Heck, you become your own prisoner once that happens.

Going into the woods to hunt, fish, hike, camp, bird watch, metal detect or whatever, is just like going anywhere else in my opinion. You just gotta use your head and remember to follow the old scout motto: "Be prepared". It ain't living if you do it any other way.

Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Keppy said:
I have to agree there is more danger in your bad part of town and parks then there is in the woods..........................I hunt the woods up here in northern Ohio i never carry in the woods never had a problem........... as a matter of fact i have a carry permit and i never carry........... I feel a lot safer not carrying than carrying.............. If you shoot some one not in your home ........... You have about a 98% chance of geting locked up for a long time............ And if you just pull a gun on someone and don't shoot you will more than likely still get locked up........................ Soooo that is why i feel safter to not carry........

I see your point Keppy, but if the very worst happened, a person would most likely get out of jail one day... but God forbid, if something happened and a person did need a weapon and didn't have one, then that person would be dead forever!!

Sky Pilot

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I own guns and been shootin and huntin since I was a kid, I am not anti-gun. I am just a naive dummy. I lost control on this one and I appologize. I cant believe I did it. I did not recognize the fact that some people live in areas with grizzly and even puma, and that you would be foolish to venture out without protection. Up in my parts, we would trade our best handgun for a can of Off!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
gleaner1 said:
I own guns and been shootin and huntin since I was a kid, I am not anti-gun. I am just a naive dummy. I lost control on this one and I appologize. I cant believe I did it. I did not recognize the fact that some people live in areas with grizzly and even puma, and that you would be foolish to venture out without protection. Up in my parts, we would trade our best handgun for a can of Off!

Heck Gleaner, I never thought you said anything out of the way myself, concerning guns or anything else. In fact I understand where you're coming from.
Glad to here from you nonetheless, and no apology needed as far as I'm concerned, friend! :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sky Pilot said:
Keppy said:
I have to agree there is more danger in your bad part of town and parks then there is in the woods..........................I hunt the woods up here in northern Ohio i never carry in the woods never had a problem........... as a matter of fact i have a carry permit and i never carry........... I feel a lot safer not carrying than carrying.............. If you shoot some one not in your home ........... You have about a 98% chance of geting locked up for a long time............ And if you just pull a gun on someone and don't shoot you will more than likely still get locked up........................ Soooo that is why i feel safter to not carry........

I see your point Keppy, but if the very worst happened, a person would most likely get out of jail one day... but God forbid, if something happened and a person did need a weapon and didn't have one, then that person would be dead forever!!

Sky Pilot
Sky , I under stand what your saying......... If i ever felt i was in danger i would carry........ I do not have a permit for the state of Mich....... But when i have to go into detroit i do carry....... Not on me but were i can get to it fast.......

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Keppy said:
Sky , I under stand what your saying......... If i ever felt i was in danger i would carry........ I do not have a permit for the state of Mich....... But when i have to go into detroit i do carry....... Not on me but were i can get to it fast.......

I know where you're coming from Keppy! :thumbsup:

I'm sure I don't need to say it, but whatever you do, Please be careful! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sky Pilot

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I now hunt with ratler headphones. Only one earphone. Had WAY to many crack head sneak up on me while I was kneeling down!

rennie

Aug 26, 2007
New Braunfels, Tx
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
I live in in Texas where we have CCL I carry a 3" Tarus judge filled with bird shot for snakes and .45 long colt hand load with 245 grain hollow point for the two legged snakes and coyotes. :icon_thumright:

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take along a gun for the bears snakes and anything else like that and also carry a taser for the other crazies....

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did carry my 45 auto and at times my AK-47 but I just sold them to get back up into the mountains to detect some more for a few weeks. Now I take my Remington 870 pump shotgun loaded with 1 oz. slugs and 00bk shot with 12 and 15 pellets. Also carry my K-Bar fighting knife. those slugs make a pretty big hole. this spring there have been 4 grizzlies shot for charging people and one of those was eating livestock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread