How Do You Scrap A Window Air Conditioner?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I would scrap a window air conditioner is contrary to the EPA guidelines. The aluminum condenser housing goes into one barrel. The steel framework goes into another one along with the cut up steel housing. If the motor is not running; it 's up to you if you want to strip out the copper wire. Although, it isn't worth you time to strip out the copper. The part where I differ from the EPA, is I just cut the freon line and let it empty before cutting up the lines and condenser. I wouldn't fool with a recovery tank, etc. because I wouldn't be doing enough AC's.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also separate out the copper tubing. Most recycle yards will not take the compressor if it still has the compressor oil in it (some require holes drilled in it), so I drill two holes in the side and drain the oil out. I have two plastic gallon jugs of used compressor oil, still trying to figure out what to do with it. If you are real industrious you can cut the compressor open (I use an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade) and get the motor out and remove the copper wire windings. I have done a couple of AC unit compressors, I have found them to be a pain as they have a shellac coating on them. Refrigerator compressors are a different story. They do not have the coating, and are much easier to remove the windings. I have filled a 5 gallon bucket with the windings from refrigerator compressors, and am working on my second. Also, cut out all the wiring harness from the AC unit. Insulated copper wire can be sold separate, and you get much better price than if you just left them with the steel case.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an old rear axle assembly from my old truck. It weighs about 350lbs. is it worth the time to haul it to the scrap yard? If so, at least that will get rid of the nagging I get every day about, "GET THAT THING OUTTA MY FLOWERS!" I tell her, "It was there b4 the flowers" :laughing7:.......NGE

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
nowgittineverything said:
I have an old rear axle assembly from my old truck. It weighs about 350lbs. is it worth the time to haul it to the scrap yard? If so, at least that will get rid of the nagging I get every day about, "GET THAT THING OUTTA MY FLOWERS!" I tell her, "It was there b4 the flowers" :laughing7:.......NGE

price of steel is down a bit but at .06 a pound you would make $21.00...

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a win-win situation, you get more than fuel cost out of taking it in and the nagging disappears.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Here that would be considered #1 steel (more money) IF you cut it into 3 pieces. They have a size limit on large items. If you do that do NOT use a torch to cut it. I once saw a guy set himself on fire doing exactly that when the burning gear oil shot out of the hole he cut and got onto his pants... Hauling it in whole would be the safest option but may pay less money. Oh yeah.. this is in response to the guy asking about scrapping a rear axle.. Releasing freon into the air is something I'm not going to comment on...

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you better get it out of the flowers and send it to the scrap yard or you might have to change your name back to what it use to be. :laughing7: :thumbsup:

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
get it stripped down to the guts take a sawz all cut the elbows off which are copper and all the tubbing which are copper knock the metal ends off of the coils cut all the wiring off of the unit and some times the blades are lite wieght aluminum seprate them into buckets and keep adding to the buckets untill full dont strip or burn the wiring you get less if you burn and only #1 is worth stripping #1 wire is as big as a pencil lead or bigger thats the plan i use every time i strip one

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
olepossum said:
get it stripped down to the guts take a sawz all cut the elbows off which are copper and all the tubbing which are copper knock the metal ends off of the coils cut all the wiring off of the unit and some times the blades are lite wieght aluminum seprate them into buckets and keep adding to the buckets untill full dont strip or burn the wiring you get less if you burn and only #1 is worth stripping #1 wire is as big as a pencil lead or bigger thats the plan i use every time i strip one
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. One difference is though on the metal ends of the coils sometimes they are aluminum, so they can stay on the coils. If they are steel, definitely remove them. A simple magnet test will tell if they need to be removed or not. I have coolers right now that I am hoarding until the prices go up that has aluminum ends, and I just left them on there.

Nimble

Sep 29, 2010
Window unit,
My mom told me that a guy who scraps said that if you take it apart you will get more money.
But i don't understand what i need to take out. Please help
Furnace Replacement

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
you need the motor, the part that looks like a radiator in a car, cut out all the copper tubing, cut off the plug-in wire and put it with the rest of your copper wire, and the compresser. thats about it I think

value

Oct 7, 2010
Air Conditioners (A/C’s) are worth recycling. They are made of several recyclable materials, such as copper aluminum, tin, and electronic motors.

If you are an air conditioning contractor then we can pay you for your old air conditioners that are out of use.
If you do not have a valid HVAC license then we cannot purchase from you as it is thought of as a theft item then by police.

air conditioner service

oron123

Jun 24, 2011
value said:
Air Conditioners (A/C’s) are worth recycling. They are made of several recyclable materials, such as copper aluminum, tin, and electronic motors.

If you are an air conditioning contractor then we can pay you for your old air conditioners that are out of use.
If you do not have a valid HVAC license then we cannot purchase from you as it is thought of as a theft item then by police.

air conditioner service

That's right... we should only choose HVAC contractors that have valid HVAC licenses. I usually consider also the quality of consumer service to analyze the quality of HVAC contractor before making deal.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find an installer that lives close. I've got a guy that has a freon recovery unit. He re-uses the freon, has the certificate etc. Keeps me legal & him happy. You might be able to drop the hint you'd be willing to come pick up the old units from his install sites if he'll recover the freon & give you a call with directions to his site. Worked out to be a win for both of us.

They can't shoot you for asking!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! remind me to stay outta New York! But the way I understand it the city & state got their hands in your pocket coming & going everytime you turn around.

erwinwhite

Jun 16, 2012
KY, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is required to scrap a window air conditioner in scrap yard. If you have no idea how to do it properly then contact any service provider who have full to experience about AC scraping.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of old units that I'm gonna scrape it helps on slow weeks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread