What's new

How do you sort dimes?

Pirate Hunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I just got my first box and am sorting them. Do you do them individually or do you look at the rim? Would you be able to spot the mercs by the rim?

Since I am new to this I am not sure I could spot the difference in rims yet.
 
Upvote 0
My wife does the dimes, they make the dates to small for me :-\ anyway, she looks at the dates!
 
Yes they do if you have any Canadian dimes put one in a roll and look at the difference as a silver dime will look merks look the same as the regular silver dimes
 
I do not do dimes but I may start. The halve is getting more dificult.

DW
 
Thanks for the answers.

I finally found a 64 and I see the difference. I found it from doing the rims and they do stand out. Thanks again.
 
I edge search and then take a quick look at the dates for a 1996-W and a 1982 no mint mark.
 
I do the edges but very carefully. I've found dark edged silver.
 
I have been skunked so much recently on dimes, I am going to lay off. Edge searching is the way to go.
 
Fropa said:
I edge search and then take a quick look at the dates for a 1996-W and a 1982 no mint mark.
Same here Fropa.. If you find one 82 no mintmark, it is worth many silver dimes :thumbsup:.. Good luck, Gpurs..
 
I search primarily by sound. I search only bags from coin counters so I don't have the luxury of sliding out a roll already on edge. Edge searching takes too much time for $1,000 bags. I dump the bag onto my work area and slowly spread them out and pull them into my hand before dumping them a handful at a time back in the bag. Because of their white color 99% of the silver is found before they ever get to my dump hand. Occasionally however a very dark or very shiny one will avoid detection. As they clink together in my hand the silver ones make a unique tone that alerts me to double check the handful before letting it go back to the bag. This method also allows me to check for proofs and other "oddball" items in the bag.
 
I mostly do dimes because you are always gaurenteed at least 1 silver coin. Except for last time I did them. I got none. I look at many factors including the color of the dime.
 
I just edge hunt them but I also look at any suspect coins ie, super dirty, extra thick (maybe a proof), & super thin (thats how I found my Barber).
 
Rim search, then I tumble them in my hands and listen for that ring...

HH
-GC
 
I do it in my car..... I have built a machine that sorts out the silver and other forien coin out. it take about 15 minutes for a $500 bag.

but I've built one for home.... that way I can get 3 bags at a time and sit at home ....... and watch it fall into the silver jar.

dont ask for a pic of the machine......... copyright..... trade mark ...... patent...... then I will sell you one .......
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom