What's new

How do you store your coins?

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All! Wishing it was spring break--alas, still about 8 weeks or so to go. :P

I was curious how ya'll store your coins. I would like to keep some individual coins in cardboard coin holders. Also, do you use paper or plastic rolls to house your dimes, cents, etc? Where is the most economical place to buy? I am planning to order some of these items soon, but wanted to know any pitfalls or the most economical place to purchase.
Thanks for any comments!
apush :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Copper memorials just get re-wrapped in paper rolls and put into the bank box, duck-taped shut, and put in the back of my closet.

All my "junk" silver is clumped together in a bin in my floor safe.

The very best coins with numismatic value are placed in 2x2 holders.
 
twinsrule said:
For your best coins, 2x2 mylars are good.
Mylars will dull your coins if able to slide around in there- cardboard 2X2's are better. HH Mark
 
I store a lot of my coins in albums. If I find a coin that I already have in my album, I put it in a plasitc tube. Once the tube gets full, I roll it up, label it, and put it aside.
 
I use an Air-Tite brand container. I only use these for the very best CRHer finds--like an AU 1955 Franklin, my AU 70D coins, and some other assorted goodies. Flips for Kennedy proofs (except the silver ones in great shape--they get Air-Tites).

Jim
 
Ait-tites.com has pretty good prices though with "junk" silver the cheaper the storage device the better. I use ammo boxes because they are sturdy. The ones i wanna keep i put in coin tubes and the ones i will sell i use new wrappers [free at the bank]. Reusing old wrappers causes many accidents.
 
For massive storage, like wheaties, I get large glass jars a goodwill. Since glass is inert, it is good for long term storage. For silver, I get tubes. Make sure to steer away from plastics (except mylar) because they can release gasses that ruin coins, especially vinyl. I had bunches of silver dollars that were ruined by mylar flips...

HH
-GC
 
2x2's if there is any numismatic value to them. Other than that in paper rolls for everything other than cents. Copper is stored in plastic bank bags with 50lbs max.
 
Depends on what it is.

Clad Goes in Cash Register

Picture 016.webp

Memorials Water Jug

Picture.webp

Keeper Finds Plastic Pages
By Location Found
Go
in Binders

Picture 017.webp
Picture 014.webp

& Type Collectin in Display

Picture 020.webp
 
Been just rolling wheaties in paper rolls by decade and filling brinks boxes then putting in safe unless I find one for album or uc then cardboard flip . Even silver been putting back in paper rolls then writing on and putting in safe hmmm may have to rethink this though. ???
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom