Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0
rvbvetter - you and i would get along just fine - i use an etching tool like mechanics use as a probe. when it's new i reduce the point area with a grinder to make it easier to enter the ground. i personally don't care if the coins are scratched - they spend just the same as the unscratched coins. since i've got my new mxt i use a plastic knitting needle (14 inches long 5mm diameter) it's kind of whippy but when the hole in the 950 head is nearest to the coin according to the tv picture - i just stab the needle into the ground as close to the center of the head as i can. then i lift the head off the needle and probe with the steel probe . i recove over 90 percent of my coins with the steel probe like you do. if i'm not on a school ground or some place where there might be objections - i use a "jimmy sierra" digging knife. very seldom can anyone tell where i have done my nefarious work. wayne

? ? ? ?Wayne;? ?That knitting needle sounds like a good idea. Though i still just use a long screwdriver, this ML EXP II i got here recently, has added a level of frustration i've never dealt with before when probing. It has no real pinpoint feature, but even so, somedays i'll do alright.
But on my off days, after having turned the area over the target into what must resemble a green swiss cheese. I've had thoughts of taking one last probe using the ML. The shaft might make a good probe.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH

you have not had a thrill till you try to push something in this mississippi delta buckshot in the summer . like digging concrete . i carry hammer and 12 in spike to drive in ground ,to start hole . needless to say if it has not rained recently , you do not dig but a couple of inches . push a probe in ground forgetaboutit!!!!! will detect for food call br-549 ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back