How effcient is a 2" dredge??

Coin Head

Jan 20, 2015
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Delta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a two inch dredge and just recently got onto a great new creek less fine gold more good size flakes am i getting near a source?? Also its a drainage ditch so its flood stage is not very much... And also how long do yall think it would be to run a yard of dirt with a two inch dredge i know the two inch is good for crevice cleaning but what about trying to run good size amounts of dirt and if not what size would you recommend.

Upvote 0
2 or 2.5.... Not my cup of tea. It is not designed to do a lot....but rather to do a little. The question you ask is relevant to the size of the material you are working.......sand and pea gravel does fine. 1 inch pebbles works. Larger material simple requires a lot of "get it out of my way"....and that takes time. A 3 inch will do a far better job than a 2 or 2.5. I would never use a 2 or 2.5......and I have owned them all. I know there will be those who like the smaller units...but bigger does better job moving material. No doubt about it.

Bejay

1/2 yard a day? good for sampling, start getting on the gold, make plans to go bigger 8-)
DSCN0100.JPG

Last edited:
What doesn't go up you gotta toss. For a four inch hose that's fist sized and up.

Try tossing all the odd shaped golf ball sized and up. Much harder.

You will have an easier time moving a yard with a shovel than with the 2", as goldog said it will be a long day of chucking golf ball size rocks.

BUT on the other hand....I have had dredges from 5 inch down to the two inch dredges over the years and I agree with the above comments BUT as I
get older , I'm NOT as agile as I once was! I do love using a bigger dredge but I cant move it around OR handle a rock laden hose OR for that much ,I have a hard time just getting up from a prone position after dredging! So now I've moved back to a Keene 2 inch dredge and (right now) I don't know if I can handle it! bad back ,knees ,arthritis ETC. I just got this 2 incher and I have been wanting to see if I can still dredge BUT the weather and Dr. appointments have been slowing me down and may just decide to sell it all and take up knitting (?:dontknow::icon_scratch::laughing7:) or ??? yep the two incher has it's limitations for sure but for those old F.O.G.s like me a 2 incher may keep me involved even if its limited!

So russau,
You gonna start knitting, I assume you mean knitted carpet for catching gold!

The arthi is starting to bother me as well, likely from work stress. A few other aches here and there but I still just want to keep going and I still have a 2" dredge for when I get to a state where I can use it. Be like a Timex till the very end................63bkpkr

You will have an easier time moving a yard with a shovel than with the 2", as goldog said it will be a long day of chucking golf ball size rocks.

One thing I know for sure: Dredging for gold is the easiest and most efficient way to recover it. I would take a dredge over a shovel any day. But I would also add that a 2 inch dredge would work ok for crevicing lots of shallow exposed bedrock not requiring moving much overburden.....as like you say: the 2 inch does not move much material.

That said, I have owned a number of 2 inch backpack units to access very remote (hard to get to) areas. It required taking all the necessary support items (fuel, tools, etc). I then realized that my shrimp gun (a suction tool device) would perform the same task and require less effort getting it to the gold area. I use the suction gun and have found as much gold in a day with it (on very small isolated tributary feeder creeks) as I have using a 4 inch dredge. Small does work and has some special capabilities.

As the thread asked: How efficient is a 2 inch? Not efficient for moving material.....but it does have its' applications!

Bejay

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back