How important are old indian camp sites?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
A friend of mine goes hunting every now and then around a particular land tract out in the middle of nowhere. Out there one time, and finds what looks like a broken flint knife blade. Didn't think much of it, then on a different day, stumbles upon this one. This is without him even looking, he just happened upon it. I'm starting to think that maybe he found an old indian site. (Sorry for the picture quality)

Attachments

• anotherfind.jpg
    anotherfind.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 849

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what you are looking for. An Indian site wouldn't give up much to a metal detector. You would need to dig and use screens to find buried pottery or arrowheads etc. If there is a creek present it is also a good place to look for points. Good luck

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the relic shown is a drill.

To answer your question. Native American campsites are very important!

You are generally allowed to pick up surface relics off private and some public property. However any digging of relics even on private property is in violation of the law and if caught is punishable by fine and or imprisonment!

Check your state and federal laws before taking a chance.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Goodyguy said:

You are generally allowed to pick up surface relics off private and some public property. However any digging of relics even on private property is in violation of the law and if caught is punishable by fine and or imprisonment!

Laws are different everywhere. TX is OK.
Newt

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Interesting. The 'friend' was thinking of taking a garden rake out there to see if he finds anything else (actually 'looking' this time).
Also, yes, there is a creek right nearby.
I wasn't thinking so much metal detectors... however, now that I think of it, didn't the Indians realize that gold was important to the white man? I seem to remember a few turbulent stories surrounding that fact.

RelicHunterSantise

Feb 4, 2009
louisville, ky
Goodyguy said:

I assume you mean good ole Ky in that sentence. Or maybe In. Yikes. I had no idea.

No one follow me out to dig....

xoxo

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:

Believe me I'm not passing judgement I'm just the messinger.

This is taken from a question and answer about Indiana Archaeological laws.

Q: Is it legal to disturb the ground for the purpose of obtaining artifacts or human
remains?
A: IC 14-21-1, as amended by Public Law 175 in 1989 and House Enrolled Act No. 1129, states
that a person who disturbs the ground for the purpose of discovering, uncovering, or moving
archaeological sites or features with artifacts dating before Dec. 31, 1870 or human remains
buried before January 1, 1940, must do so in accordance with an approved plan from the
Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). Qualified professional archaeologists, as
determined by the Department, who conduct Phase 1a archaeological surveys according to
guidelines adopted by the Department do not have to apply for an approved plan; however,
they must still apply for an approved plan for proposed Phase 1a investigations on State
property, and federal laws still apply.

Q: Are there criminal penalties for disturbing archaeological or burial sites?
A: Yes, the penalties are:
Section 26: A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally fails to follow a plan
approved by the IDNR when disturbing the ground for the purpose of discovering,
uncovering, or moving artifacts, burial objects, or humans remains commits a Class A
misdemeanor.

Federal Law Antiquities Act. June 8,1906

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That any person who shall appropriate, excavate, injure, or destroy any historic or prehistoric ruin or monument, or any object of antiquity, situated on lands owned or controlled by the Government of the United States, without the permission of the Secretary of the Department of the Government having jurisdiction over the lands on which said antiquities are situated, shall, upon conviction, be fined in a sum of not more than five hundred dollars or be imprisoned for a period of not more than ninety days, or shall suffer both fine and imprisonment, at the discretion of the court.

Park rangers of federal lands take Native American relic hunting on federal land very seriously!
Many people have felt their wrath.

Hope this helps,
Buddy~

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Goodyguy said:
For more information about your drill check out this link of Native American artifact tools of Texas: http://texasrockshop.com/tools01.html

This one unbroken worth $100.00

Yeah, I'm not much on getting any money for the find(s). Worth more sentimentally than anything else.

On your previous post... it's interested how if someone were just walking along a city/state park, and sees an arrow head, he could get in trouble just for picking it up. Things like that just don't make sense to me. Like old civil war sites... you'd think people would want to know more about the era, by obtaining shot, or spurs, or a belt buckle. But, nope.... the ol' ninnies want it to rot back into the soil.

Incidentally, the land in question is on private land. He wouldn't go out there excavating or anything, but he would go and haphazardly see if he could find anything else. Not for any gain, but probably just to be able to tell his grand kids. He'd probably say something like, "...and if the little Indian children didn't eat the spinach at the dinner table, they would take this drill and...". ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread